This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 AM

1960 Edsel 292 is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 edsel new guy here

hello guys. just wanted to introduce myself.
my name is leonard and i have been messing with old cars most of my life of 47 years.
i will be posting questions here for info on a friends 1960 edsel ranger 4 door with 292 and 2 speed auto trans. he loves old cars and his edsel, he just dont know how to work on them, so thats where i step in. HA
its had a repaint a few years ago by the previous owner, and although it isnt a concoruse show car, its a good looker and gets a lot of attention, mostly because of it's rarity.
i help him tune it up and do general work on it, but the more in depth work we have another friend who does that stuff on it. my 57 chevy 3100 truck keeps me busy enough.

we are currently gathering all the info we can on doing a power boosted front disc brake conversion. in the future he wants to add a/c, since this south florida heat is getting more brutal each year.

i have posted some of my questions on another site for these old fords, and wanted to join here to get various points of views and pick your brains.

so here goes..

1. his 2 speed auto trans, (i was told its a ford-O-Matic) ?
when going from a dead stop and laying into the gas pedal a bit, it will slip into second gear. he will change the trans filter soon, (do you guys knwo where we can get one at ?) to see if that may help. hopefully it wont need a rebuild.

2. he is now ready to install power brakes on it. i found a booster and master cylinder on e-bay from a member here, oldirishdave, and will go with that set up. what are your guys thoughts on the other parts needed, like caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, bearings, etc ?
i found one site that sells just the caliper bracket, and give me all the other info needed, but its a bunch of miss matched parts, some from fords and some from chevys, like using s-10 rotors and calipers, etc.
are there any old fords or current fords we can get the rotors and calipers from to make it much easier to keep track of our parts ?

i guess thats it for now guys. tomorrow we will be doing a compression check on it, just wanting to see what we got, and diagnosing a slight stumble in the car while cruising at 30-60mph. gonna try and unhook the vacuum advance on the distributor and go for a cruise to see if thats the culprit. we just did a complete tune up and cured most of it.

ok this is getting kind of long, so i will let you guys chime in on my brake and trans questions.

thanks much.

leonard
Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 AM

here is his 1960 edsel.

leonard
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

She is a pretty one!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:01 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960 Edsel 292 View Post

1. his 2 speed auto trans, (i was told its a ford-O-Matic) ?
when going from a dead stop and laying into the gas pedal a bit, it will slip into second gear. he will change the trans filter soon, (do you guys knwo where we can get one at ?) to see if that may help. hopefully it wont need a rebuild.
It is a FORD-O-MATIC 2/S PX TRANS.

http://www.transgo.com/

They will have a distributor that can give you a service kit.

Quote:
2. he is now ready to install power brakes on it. i found a booster and master cylinder on e-bay from a member here, oldirishdave, and will go with that set up. what are your guys thoughts on the other parts needed, like caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, bearings, etc ?

i found one site that sells just the caliper bracket, and give me all the other info needed, but its a bunch of miss matched parts, some from fords and some from chevys, like using s-10 rotors and calipers, etc.

are there any old fords or current fords we can get the rotors and calipers from to make it much easier to keep track of our parts ?
I don't care for kits as they will present a replacement parts nightmare at some point. The GRANADA and 79 BIRD swap are the easiest. GOOGLE both and you will get all the info you should need.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 edsel new guy here

Welcome, Leonard! I see you are up and posting already this morning! Here is a quick overview of what wikipedia says about the Ford-O-Matic. In the case of the Edsel, Ford called it the Mile-O-Matic. In the Mercury, they called it the Merc-O-Matic.

Ford-O-Matic was the first automatic transmission used by Ford Motor Company, designed by Borg Warner Corporation. Introduced in 1950, the three-speed Ford-O-Matic evolved into the Cruise-O-Matic in 1958 (and a 2-speed Ford-O-Matic in 1959) and the FMX in 1968.

Leonard has been around cars, trucks and motorcycle much of his young life. Here is what else he had to say.

"I look forward to finding new friends on your site and learning along the way.
I have messed with old cars much of my life. At 47 years old I have had probably 15 cars/trucks, mostly older ones. My first was a 1970 mustang with 302 and 4 speed, then a pinto with a 351w that ran 12’s in the mile, then motorcycles, 3 different chevelles, all 396 ss cars, and am now tinkering with a 57 chevy 3100 truck.
One of my fond memories is my dads 68 ford f-100 with 360 and 3 on the tree. Drove that thing a lot when I was 16-19."

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-21-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 AM

thanks for the warm welcome guys, and for the info. i will do some searching for the granada and 79 t-bird disc conversions for the edsel.
and yellowrose, thanks for adding me to your site...
look forward to learning more about these old fords.

leonard
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 PM

also guys, correct me if im wrong.
im assuming that i will NOT need a front residual valve since the mater will be above the front calipers ?

also, do you recommend us installing a rear adjustable proportioning valve to the rear drums ?

thanks much

leonard
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960 Edsel 292 View Post

also guys, correct me if im wrong.

im assuming that i will NOT need a front residual valve since the mater will be above the front calipers ?

also, do you recommend us installing a rear adjustable proportioning valve to the rear drums ?

thanks much

leonard

IF IT WERE ME-

I would use the combination valve off the donor vehicle (aftermarket kits use a CHEVELLE valve). Both (GRANADA & BIRD) have about the same weight distribution.

You have to have a residual valve on the rear drum and that will be included in the donor combination valve. Duplicate the plumbing from a later donor and you should be covered.

The only concern will be the operation of the proportioning valve. This valve only works in a panic stop to deal with front to rear weight bias. Once you get everything plumbed and working correctly, take the car to either a skid pad or open parking lot while the surface is wet and do a few panic stops to make sure the rear doesn't come around on you.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road

I LOVE 1960 EDSELS & HAVE THE ORIGINAL SALES BROCHURE, TOO, BUT NO EDSEL! I CANNOT AFFORD TO BUY EVERY CAR I AM INTO.

1958 T-BIRDS, 1960 EDSELS AND ALL IMPERIALS FROM 1957 TO 1978, ALSO 1993 CADILAC SIXTY SPECIALS. AND AND AND AVANTI CONVERTIBLES. 2002-2004

YOUR CAR IS GREAT. I'D LIKE A 1960 CONVERTIBLE IN BLack, ALL BLACK.
ALL THE OPTIONS, AND A CONTINENTIAL KIT. GOTTA FIND MY NEAREST EDSEL DEALER AND ORDER ~~ WELCOME TO THE SITE, BTW
Old 08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Leonard,
You have one very nice car there!
Welcome!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436