This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Ford Man

orwin is on a distinguished road
Default Spark Plugs, Dipstick questions

This is a response to Tbird430's questions about my 430 in the 58-60 Forum. I believe this belongs here with the MEL stuff.

The spark plug wire set is from Thunderbird Headquarters, their part number B12259NR. The box says Motorcraft WR-3800-BR, also E5PZ-12259-NR. I was pleased with how they fit. The lengths looked right and using Ford parts is the way to go.

The dipstick and tube are on the engine in the "assembled" pics. Closeup attached. This brings up an interesting point - probably belongs in the 430 MEL forum. Note that I had to use a Lincoln timing cover which is slightly different than the Bird cover, due to crack at the fuel pump mounting flange. The Lincoln cover has a 12 3/4" dipstick tube, while the orginal Bird cover has a 13 3/4" dipstick tube. It didn't take long to determine that it would be impossible to remove the tubes and swap them without destroying them. Also the original bird tube was missing the welded on bracket that mounts to the block. (see 2nd pic) So I used the Lincoln cover, tube and dipstick, which results in the tip of the dipstick being at the right depth in the pan. So the dipstick is 1" too short. Heard that one before
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipstick1.jpg (75.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg dipstick2.jpg (64.8 KB, 35 views)
Tbird Registry #1590
Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

John, these steel dipstick tubes are simply pressed into the aluminum housing. You can interchange them. Nothing is welded to cast iron or aluminum on your engine. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwin View Post

Note that I had to use a Lincoln timing cover which is slightly different than the Bird cover, due to crack at the fuel pump mounting flange. The Lincoln cover has a 12 3/4" dipstick tube, while the orginal Bird cover has a 13 3/4" dipstick tube.
What year LINC did you use the front cover from? Early PS belt driven application? Difference(s) other than dipstick tube?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Ford Man

orwin is on a distinguished road

The cover was from a '58 Lincoln. The pattern of "ribs" in the casting was slightly different from the '60 Bird part. Unfortunately I didn't take photos before I installed it. I left the dipstick tube intact rather than risk busting it by trying to remove it. Would be interesting to know how many parts on the bird's 430 are actually unique to the bird. I only have access to Ford parts books, but someone with the Lincoln & Merc books could probably check this out. Just from my rebuild experience and purchasing some unusable Lincoln parts on EBay, I suspect the following may be unique:
- Oil Pan
- Timing Cover
- Air Cleaner
- Snorkel
- Exhaust manifold (at least one side)

Anyone care to pursue this?
Tbird Registry #1590
Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwin View Post
...I left the dipstick tube intact rather than risk busting it by trying to remove it... ...I only have access to Ford parts books...
Look in your parts book and notice that your timing cover does not come with an oil level tube (assembly). None of them do, over the years. Here are the part numbers for your 430:

B9SZ 6019-A Timing Cover
B9SE 6754-A T TUBE - OIL LEVEL INDICATOR-includes bracket approx.14 13/64" long

To remove the tube, I unbolt it from the block, loosely hold channel locks (or vise-grips) underneath the bracket, and tap the pliers (up) with a small hammer. It's easier than you think.

To install, I line-up the bracket with the block, (use a block of wood on top of the tube) and tap it down with a hammer. To prevent wood chips from going down the tube, wad a small rag and stick it in the tube before you start. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Slow Typist

Forgive my lack of graces, John. I meant to say this in my last post:

If the tube bracket is still on the block (or you still have it), send the two pieces to me and I will weld them back together for you.

Dave Dare
2112 N. Vermont Ave.
Royal Oak, MI 48073-4204

--Lee Iacocca