This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 430MEL Alternator Mounting Bracket?

I have been researching an alternator mounting bracket for one of our Tbird owners with the 430 engine. Apparently, C.R.A.P. does not manufacture an alternator mounting bracket for the 430 engine. Not enough demand. He wants to get rid of that generator and go to an alternator. Has anyone done this with their 430 engine? If so, where did you get your mounting bracket to hang the alternator on? If you know of a company that makes one, please let us know. If you had to make your own, he would love to have the details of how you did it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

It is important to note, all alternators are not created equally.

I usually count on making my own brackets for the alternator I intend on using.

Since this is custom work, the question has many variables depending on belt position, type of belt, type of alternator (and engine to be used).

I usually make a "C" bracket that encircles the alternator for front-mounting on the alt. In that "C" bracket, I drill a pivot hole and slot an elogated hole for belt adjustment. Some alternators use a back brace as well. The rest is spacers (1/2" electrical thinwall works well) and long threaded rod.

Restorers usually run into fabrications like this on a regular basis. Welding & grinding capabilities are always helpful. The alternator needs a proper pulley type (they are all interchangable, even between brands).

The same applied when I mounted a Mustang P/S pump on my Y-Block for my rack & pinion steering gear. Aftermarket A/C is yet another bracket fabrication. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I have been researching an alternator mounting bracket for one of our Tbird owners with the 430 engine. He wants to get rid of that generator and go to an alternator. Has anyone done this with their 430 engine? If so, where did you get your mounting bracket to hang the alternator on?
Very simple-

You either use the original GEN mounting bracket;

Or use a later LINC 430/462 setup;

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks, Gary! That is a totally different bracket than what is used on the 352 engine! That is a very sturdy looking original bracket. Either one should make it very simple to change from a generator to an alternator. Especially the Lincoln version, I would think. That looks to be about as simple as you can get. I see the graphic name indicates that it is a 1966 Lincoln 462 mounting bracket. I gather that for the Lincoln mount there is another piece bolted to that bottom "eye". But it is so covered in grease, I thought it was part of the steering arms. With your activity on the 430MEL Engine Forum, I figured you would come up with something. It also looks like it would be pretty easy to make your own Lincoln type bracket also, if you could not find one. There ya go, Don, and others. I hope JohnG will grab this for the TRL so others in the future with 430 engines who want to go to an alternator will have this to go by.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-28-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 PM
KULTULZ

LINC went to ALT in 1963 (I believe) so finding changeover parts should not be difficult.

The first photo was an early LINC GEN mount. The ALT is a 1G Series so the changeover is not that difficult.

I haven't been active on the MEL Engine Forum for quite a while.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM
KULTULZ

If there are any specific question(s) anyone needs answered, I will do to the best of my ability.

WARNING: I am a FORD PURIST and do not approve of GM ONE-WIRE conversions. They cause too many problems. I also try and preserve the original appearance of the engine, i.e. making the conversion appear as an original feature. Most likely all this conversion needs is an early FORD 1G ALT, which will make the changeover period correct in appearance. It will require an external ALT voltage regulator which further (IMO) maintains the period correct appearance.

There are also 1G upgrade kits which will raise the delivered amps if needed. This will prevent having to go to a 3G ALT upgrade which will definitely be noticed.

-ALTERNATOR UPGRADE TECHNICAL INFO ARTICLE-
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 PM
KULTULZ

Unhappy Previous Post Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

You either use the original GEN mounting bracket;

CORRECTION-

I have made a serious mistake and presentation. The mounting bracket shown above is NOT a GEN bracket but actually a 63/67 LINC ALT bracket.

What is actually shown is a gentleman installing a later 2G ALT in the original 1G bracket. It is now obvious for one to do a clean changeover would be to source the ALT bracket shown above- C3VY 10151-A and adj. brkt C3VY 10145-B.

Shown on this 1958 LINC 430 is the actual GEN mounting bracket-

The photo below is the 1967/68 LINC 462 setup.

If this has caused anyone any difficulty, I sincerely apologize.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 AM
KULTULZ

Post PM Exchange Between Myself And 430 J-BIRD Owner

I am posting this in hope(s) it will answer someone else's question(s) regarding an early vehicle ALT upgrade-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by (HIDDEN)

KULTULZ,

As I'm sure you can figure, I'm not that mechanically knowledgeable about this process, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated. What I'm trying to do is pre-order all the parts before bringing it into a mechanic. Some are recommending a GM Del-co 1 wire unit which I think is about 65 amps. I am curious as to your thoughts and what other parts I should/need to get. How many amps do you think I need (radio, AC, electric wipers, power seats, windows, 430 engine)? If you have a suggestion of a specific alternator it would be great. If you've had luck with a specific brand or type, again, helpful. Note that I am less concerned about keeping the engine appearing original then simply getting into reliable use state.

I know that some suggest a 3 wire and a Ford alternator. If you name it, I order it and bring it in!

Again, much thanks.
(HIDDEN),

I am uncomfortable recommending a changeover for you as having the 430 engine, most everything is going to have to be fabricated. Even using the GEN mount, you will need the later ALT adjusting arm. You are paying a mechanic by the hour I assume and it can get expensive if all of the gathered parts are not directly bolt-on.

Here is something I would like you to consider. It is an ALT built within a GEN original case. It will go to your present brackets and is a one-wire hook-up. The cost is 369.95 from SUMMIT but when you add up all of the time and frustrations of collecting parts and hoping everything will go together, you will most likely have that amount invested.

Here is the URL-

-POWERGEN-

If you weren't so far away, I would love to do the conversion just to learn as I have seen no documentation of a 430 BIRD ALT upgrade.

Let me know what you think and we will go in another direction if wished.

GARY

WASH DC METRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by (HIDDEN)

Gary,

Thanks for the updated information. I did also happen to find the same PowerGen on another site late yesterday. Although I assumed it would be price prohibitive, I did e-mail the company that makes them. At $370, lower than I expected, I'm inclined to agree with you as I believe the fabrications costs and time to assure the belt lines up could easily amount to a substantial labor cost. This really should take no time to install.

FYI, for about $20 more the company make one with a second wire that can be run to the dash generator light. Both are 75 amps with an internal regulator and put out 60 amps at idle.

Since I'm not the guy to chart uncharted waters when it comes to vehicle upkeep, I think this is the way I'm going to go.

Much thanks to you, Ray and Dave for all your help. I will post how it goe$.

That answers one of my questions about the unit.
One wire ALT have their own set of problems, this being one of them.

(Referring to the available additional harness to have the warning lamp operate properly)

Quote:
Again, gathering all of the parts and paying a tech clock time is going to be expensive. This is the fast and clean way out.

Would you mind if I transfer these exchanges to the main board for others to read? I will leave out your name if desired.

And you must get back and tell us how it is doing.

Gary
Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 AM

Thanks for that information, Gary! I did not suggest the alt in a gen case because I was thinking of the Gener-Nater version http://www.gener-nator.com/orders.htm

That unit is like nearly $900! I did not realize that PowerGen makes one also for a lot less. We even have the link to it in the TRL!

This unit won't get him 100+ amps down the road, if he wanted to add cooling fans, or other equipment that draws a lot of amps. However, it should certainly take care of his present needs and made it very easy to swap out. No hassle over making or finding ALT brackets. If I had known about this when we went through the hassle of modifying an existing L bracket, I would have gone that route instead. Thanks again!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 AM
KULTULZ

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

Thanks for that information, Gary!
It is no problem. I just want enthusiasts to enjoy their cars, cheaply and safely.

Quote:
This unit won't get him 100+ amps down the road, if he wanted to add cooling fans, or other equipment that draws a lot of amps. However, it should certainly take care of his present needs and made it very easy to swap out. No hassle over making or finding ALT brackets. If I had known about this when we went through the hassle of modifying an existing L bracket, I would have gone that route instead. Thanks again!
100A ALT is not really needed (IMO) unless one modifies the fuel system (EFI), as you stated an electric cooling module and/or sound. I would think that this unit would also power the conv top asm in a sufficient manner (with addition of large CCA battery).

If one found the LINC brackets, a 3G upgrade would not be that difficult.