This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM

hale0007 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump push rod

Replaced fuel pump with a rebuilt one, but still doesn't
draw fuel. Suspect push rod is worn, but how do you get it
out? Top cap appears press fitted, with no way to pry it
off. Have tried punching from below, only to dimple it! Have used plenty of penetrating oil. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. Assuming I need a new rod, are there any
sources, or do I need to get one machined? Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Apprentice

Colo66 is on a distinguished road

I think that the timing cover will have to be removed. Another thing to consider is that there was 2 different lenth of push rods. The MPC lists for 59/60 C1VE-9400-A, ID by 2 groves on the end, which is 4.881 long and for 60, C3VY-9400-B which is 4.810 long. The fuel pump for 59 was B8S-9350-A and C0LE-9350-A for 60 which was replaced by the earlier B8S-A pump. There was no mention of replacing the C3VY-B rod with the C1VE-A however. There has been some concerns that when the pump was changed it wouldnt pump enough fuel for the engine. This may be due in part to a pump/rod lenth mismatch. There were 2 fuel pumps style used for both years. Use the search function to find the discussion on this. If you have any questions just ask!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Ask Bart (bcomo) too, he has "been here before".

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Apprentice

65cobra03 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump pushrod

hi
You have to punch a hole in the pressed in cap & pry it out , After removal pound back in shape & solder up the hole & repaint if desired
I have been down this road & gave up after wasting time & money. a good electric fuel pump is the way to go . Instant starts as carb is immediatly primed & they are reliable. Be sure to follow installation instruction's as they push fuel instead of pulling, so pump must be level or below tank. The only other fix is a new pump cam & a MATCHING pushrod a tough combo to find & correctly ID & a lot of taking apart to boot.
BEN

Last edited by 65cobra03 : 11-06-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 11-08-2009, 11:51 AM

hale0007 is on a distinguished road

Ben,

I may go for the electric fuel pump. If it has to be installed at
or below fuel tank level, where do you install? Not much room
between tank and wheel well. Thanks

Mike
Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Apprentice

65cobra03 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump

hi
I am still in northern ny The t- bird is in Fl I will check the exact location of electric pump & get back to you in a few week's i know it was tight but was not a big deal it's been three year's since i looked at it & have forgotten detail's of installation
BEN
Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I've seen people hide them under the windshield washer bag...

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Jon now that is a great idea that someone came up with, as I never thought of that one
58HT #33317
Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Most electric fuel pumps 'push' rather than 'pull' the fuel - hence why they are best fitted back nearest the fuel tank.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
Most electric fuel pumps 'push' rather than 'pull' the fuel - hence why they are best fitted back nearest the fuel tank.
...and for good reasons. Modern pumps are IN the gas tank. They produce high pressure which eliminates vapor lock (no suction side). I like the idea of putting the electric pump as far back as possible; in that trunk void, just behind the rear wheels is good. I use the electric supply wires to disable the car. Hot wire the ignition any way you want, it's not going anywhere without gas.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca