This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring Woes

Taillights, headlights, and power windows.

Started in the back of the car with the tail lights... cuz I thought that would be the easiest. Wrong. I dont know if my stop/brake light switch is functioning when I press the brake. I dont know if my turn signal lever is functioning. I cant see up behind the instrument panel to even see if that stuff is plugged in or not.

I'm about ready to pull the instrument panel out and start tracing things from there.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Headlights/tailights
in the Technical Resources Library I have an article showing what all the connections to the headlight switch do, for example http://users.wpi.edu/~goulet/TBird/H...%20Repairs.htm

Do you have a multimeter?? That will help alot. Shop manual with wiring diagrams?

Brakelights: those have been discussed a number of times - try the Search and see what you come up with. There are directions for isolating the problem.

Let me know what you find.

best
John

Last edited by JohnG : 08-01-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Super-Experienced

yes, I have a meter, and wiring diagram (from this site; I made like 10 copies, then used a highlighter to mark the circuits on thier own separate pages)

This site is great: I can now test the the brake light switch on the master cylinder. I am curious how it functions though. what inside the master cylinder causes the circuit to close and the lights to come on?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Dakota Boy,
The switch is on the brake booster under the hood. It is about the size of a quarter and has two wires going to it. With your meter on OHMS check meter wires by touching them together. Then take wires off brake switch and check by touching one to where each wire was. Circuit should be open. No have someone to step on brake pedal and check again. You should get reading when brake pedal is pressed. You can also pull the wires off and take a small piece of wire and insert in the terminals of each wire. Press brake pedal and see if brake lights work. Keep us informed!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-01-2009, 01:57 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I have never cut one open (although I intend to one of these days) but there seems to be a membrane between the fluid and the electrical part. The pressure flexes the membrane which in turn closes a switch, completing a circuit and making your lights come On.

Sometime in the early 60s they went to a mechanical switch on the brake pedal...

By comparison, you have an oil pressure switch down by the oil filter which is normally On in the absence of pressure and then goes Off as soon as there is pressure, hence the light on your dash.

Last edited by JohnG : 08-01-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Super-Experienced

I am 99% positive in have all the wires in the trunk hooked up correctly now, but the brake lights are on all the time.

And it doesnt seem to matter if the wires to the brake light switch are hooked up or not. So the brake light filaments are getting power from somewhere.

Where is the "directional switch" located (all the turn signal wires run to this)? one of the green wires at the brake light switch is supposed to terminate there.....

And WHY in the world wont my brand new license plate bulbs light up, even when I have like 11.5 volts at the sockets?
Thats just plain weird...
Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Dakota Boy,
Are you sure its brake lights or like the headlight switch is on?
The turn signal switch is in the steering column. As far as license plate bulb check for ground, these old cars are bad about corrosion and or paint build up under grounds.
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Hey Greg...Im going to get in touch with my uncle and see if he can't refer us to someone or help out himself... they are in Muskego so not too far away...
Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Super-Experienced

oh, that would be awesome!

I feel like a blind caveman trying to invent fire at this point. I'm sure it's all simple stuff, I just am way too "green" with this wiring business
Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

I can commiserate... when I found rat chewed wires under Coral's rear seat and started going through them, taping them up it was like a spider web of confusion... and I have done such things as building a new PC tower, installing a ceiling fan in my house, running gas line for the stove, wired a water pump... and yet, the wiring harness on a car makes me shudder in fear...