This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road
Default Replaced rear main seal today - pics

Today was rear main seal day. This was done with the 430 in my 59 bird. The engine was jacked up and boards placed under the mounts to hold it up. The only thing disconnected to jack the engine up, other than engine mounts, was the upper radiator hose. The oil pump was removed in order to remove the oil pan. Removal of the rear main bearing cap went smoothly. See picture of bearing cap with lower rope seal behind it. Removal of the upper seal was difficult, we used a screw into the seal and one person had to pull while the other turned the crankshaft. The seal was really deteriorated and we broke off about 3/4 of an inch at a time. But eventually it all came out fine. One person told me beforehand that some engines have a pin in the seal channel to prevent seal rotation. No such pin was present in my engine. See the picture of our rudimentary removal tool...long dry wall screw and vise grips. I used FelPro neoprene gaskets to replace the original gaskets. The gaskets on the sides of the bearing cap use a nail to expand them. You can see them inserted before being pounded in in one of the pictures. In the picture of the bottom of the engine with pan removed you can see paint on a counterweight that looks roughly like a "T". One of the biggest problems we had was getting the oil pump back in during reassembly. The drive shaft had fallen out during dissasembly. We tried for an hour to get the shaft properly seated in the pump. When the two pump bolts were tightened the pump did not lie flat on the seating surface. We finally loosened the distributor so the pump could be properly seated then tightened down the distributor. Everything ran fine after the job was finished, so this obviously worked. I had purchased a replacement pump drive shaft that is heavier duty than the original however the one "Precision Oip Pumps" sent me was several inches too short. The job took about 8 hours sart to finish. It was nice doing this on a garage lift. I couldn't imagine trying this on my back under the car.

Vern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pan off.jpg (93.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg rear main bearing cap before removal.jpg (79.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg upper seal pulling tool.jpg (53.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg pins in side seals.jpg (57.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg rear main bearing cap.jpg (64.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg rear main block removed.jpg (55.7 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by vernz : 07-25-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Replaced rear main seal today - pics

Hi Vern!

Thanks for the account and for the great pictures of the process! I am glad things worked out okay for you, after an 8 hour go at it!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting up the pics & I'm glad you have the task at hand completed.

Now, How much blood did you two guys loose? LOL!!

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernz View Post
It was nice doing this on a garage lift. I couldn't imagine trying this on my back under the car.

Vern
I'm afraid I can imagine it that way. I did that in my dad's driveway back before I bought my place. I also replaced all the main bearings at the same time, the rear main bearing didn't look very healthy when I dropped it down.

Doing those bearings on the ground was lots of fun.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Experienced

My hat's off to you for taking on that job from under the car. I'll try the power steering cylinder seals for my 59 on my back sometime this fall and the malfunctioning generator on my 60 soon.

Vern
Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernz View Post
... I used FelPro neoprene gaskets to replace the original gaskets. The gaskets on the sides of the bearing cap use a nail to expand them. You can see them inserted before being pounded in in one of the pictures...
Vernz, what a great job well done. (I certainly would have scratched the crank using a drywall screw.)

So, you replaced the rope with a FelPro split neoprene seal? How did it turn out, now that it's been a while?

BTW, your pictures are exceptionally sharp and clear! - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Experienced

Simplyconnected - So far no leaks, but then I've only put about 30 miles on her since the job was completed. Thanks for the compliment on the pictures. I use an older Canon ELPH digital camera that is only 5 megapixels. The current model, for about $230, is 12 megapixels and is top rated. Some of the closeups I can get are amazing. Take a look at this closeup. I actually use the camera in closeup mode, then view on the screen to see details that I can't see otherwise.

Vern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg distributor number.jpg (328.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Vernz, the thing that really stands out, is your ability to take such close shots USING A FLASH!!! Mine washes out terribly unless I put a styrofoam bowl around my lens to tame down the light. Your camera is excellent for close-up shots.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Experienced

Simplyconnected - I've had my share of washed out pictures using flash during closeups. Two techniques I've used is to put a piece of masking tape over the flash (styrofoam cup is even better if you can get it to stay in place) or angle the shot so the flash doesn't reflect back to the lens. Below is a shot from my other hobby using the masking tape method. I really got close with this one and did not even see the dust until looking at the picture. It is about four times actual size. Reflectivity of the subject has a lot to do with success.

Vern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sight leaf serial nos.jpg (303.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default seal

Don't you ever change the oil?? (just kidding)
i used to have a thing to install the upper rear main seal, called "chinese finger".was a wire mesh type thing that went over the crank first and pulled the seal into place. I think the retaining pin you refered to is in the cap if used at all. Just so you know, I have installed those rear seals on my back on a creeper! many years ago, no more!!
Don't you love those 430s!!! plenty of power, I used to drag race my dad's 58 Mercury Montery 383 against 390 Galaxies. usually beat them in a drag, always outran them for top-end.