X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Switching From 14" to 15" Or 16" Rims

This subject has probably been talked about before, but I could not find it. IF I wanted to change my rims from 14" to 15" or 16" is that possible without doing anything to the drums they mount on, front and rear? Will I have to buy a new set of drums all around and if so, what else? I know I will have to buy a new set of tires, or course, to fit the rims.

The reason I am asking is because I have found a set of rims that I like, but you cannot get them in 14". Only 15" and up, as I recall. All information is appreciated.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • protourbird
    Experienced
    • Apr 29 2008

Ray, you should have no problems mounting the 16" wheels. The only thing you have to be careful with is stud length and this depends on your wheel design. Don't take a chance on short studs as they are relatively easy to replace and are a safety factor. Also make certain the back spacing will work. Too much and you could encounter clearance problems with your A-Arms and ball joints. Enjoy your new wheels
    sigpic
    Jim

protourbird

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

Skyd's got 16" American Racing Torque thrusts (I think) on his and I've got 17" Boyd Coddington Junkyard Dogs on mine. I'm still running drums all the way around. RustyinCA has 17" Mustang (again, I think) rims on his.

Mine are 17" x 8", zero offset and they fit fine. Rusty's have more offset and he had to run spacers, if I remember right.

What rims are you looking at? If they are from a company like American Racing or Boyd who's familiar with fitting older cars, I'd have them pick the width & offset. They & the tire store should know better and then they are on the hook if they don't fit. That's what I did with mine, I pretty much knew what I wanted, but I left the final choice to Boyd and Discount Tire.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by dgs
        Skyd's got 16" American Racing Torque thrusts (I think) on his and I've got 17" Boyd Coddington Junkyard Dogs on mine. I'm still running drums all the way around. RustyinCA has 17" Mustang (again, I think) rims on his.

Mine are 17" x 8", zero offset and they fit fine. Rusty's have more offset and he had to run spacers, if I remember right.

What rims are you looking at? If they are from a company like American Racing or Boyd who's familiar with fitting older cars, I'd have them pick the width & offset. They & the tire store should know better and then they are on the hook if they don't fit. That's what I did with mine, I pretty much knew what I wanted, but I left the final choice to Boyd and Discount Tire.
        Yep, dgs is right, a good tire shop is key. Discount tire or Americas Tire as they seem to be called here in Redding is the only shop I go to here.

I am running a set of 17x8 Mustang Bullits with spacers to get them to clear the a arms which isn't an ideal solution, but it works. With the good spacers I am running it isn't a safety issue, but I imagine it isn't good on the bearings in the spindle.

My advice would be stay either with 15" or 17", seems like those sizes are most cost effective and have lots of options.

Go with the 17" if you plan to go with big brakes like I did.

If you want to see your car with wide whites and 15" moons here you go...

Here is a page full of photos with this setup.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

The rims were custom built off sets that I had made, they ran $420 for the set if I remember right, the tires were much more . In fact I do have two 15x8 rims only used for a short period... till I discovered they rubbed on the 65, we ran to much offset for the 255s and the skirts.

It seems like they were fine on the 58 though.....

pm me if you want the details on tire sizes, offsets, etc., you could get the rims in chrome, bare (so you can paint to your choice), black. My orginal plan was to run the 15" with Ford hubcaps, but I liked the moonies look on my 65.

The company also had other styles avail.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks for the input, guys! I have been looking at American Racing's various series, but I like an ATX model, A Shelby Cobra, Fuel 8, Crush and Vintage AR500. We do have Discount Tires in San Antonio. In fact, I have done business with them before. I called them and gave them the information on my 14 x 6 rims that are on the car now. From what I have been told, they have 0 offset backspacing, the bolt circle is 5-4.5, lug nuts 1/2-20, and rear spacing is 3 3/8".

He is going to see what will work on my '59 Tbird for me. I know what I want, but they are liable to cost me $200 each to get them, more or less and probably more. I know I want a chrome rim with a black face and I know the style I like. I also know that I dont want them to be to wide because I dont want any rubbing problems when turning. At the moment I dont. I am running R225/70R14 tires on her now.

As was suggested, I am going to let him tell me what rims will fit and what I have a choice of. I will look at what he comes up with. I do not like the looks of the wide whitewalls. I thought about going with dog dish hubcaps, but I want something spiffier for Rose that will really set off her paint job, and let her do some "styling". I know what I want to do with those rims if I can get the right ones. Thanks again!
          Last edited by YellowRose; March 18, 2009, 01:46 AM. Reason: Additional comment

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

My feeling is that the grey or darker centered wheels look really good with the pale color that our cars are. I ended up with the bullits free and tried them and decided they were the look I want to have.

I didn't really like the chrome and white walls myself I thought it look washed out.

Comment

• fomoco59
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 10 2005

Ray, I've been considering this also. Getting away from bias-plys. I'm really not interested
              in paying nearly $800 for WWW Radials tho. Blackwall radials on chrome rims sound nice.
              (I can't believe I'm saying this)
              sigpic
              Mike Lemmon
              '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• GTE427
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 9 2007

Mike, I can see it now, 15" Magnum 500's with BSW Radials, and for those formal times, switch back to the WSW with hubcups.

Your car looks great as is with the whites, I think the Magnums would also look great on a Black car while retaining the Ford heritage using their wheels. If you manage to find stimulus money, try out some vintage Hurst Wheels or some Rader Mag Wheels.

After getting your car back from the Museum, you'll probably enjoy swapping wheels back and forth.
                Ken
                1959 J Convertible
                1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• fomoco59
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 10 2005

Thanks Ken... I've been thinking the same thing, but hadn't thought of Magnum 500's.. hmmmm.

Only SEVEN WEEKS until May 1st, the day I go to get her from the museum.
                  John Rotella is giving me a ride, should be fun ! Been a long year.
                  sigpic
                  Mike Lemmon
                  '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Mike I am sure the time will fly by and you will once again be cruisin. I for one, am very glad you made this decision as a year without your baby, is a very long time.
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• fomoco59
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 10 2005

You're right gents... I'm very anxious to get her home.

Ray... keep us posted on your search for wheel/tire setups.
                      I'm also considering Fr & Rr stabilizers.. time to start ripping around town instead of *****-footing.
                      sigpic
                      Mike Lemmon
                      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

Originally posted by fomoco59
                        You're right gents... I'm very anxious to get her home.

Ray... keep us posted on your search for wheel/tire setups.
                        I'm also considering Fr & Rr stabilizers.. time to start ripping around town instead of *****-footing.

You won't believe the difference. The front & rear combo does it.

Comment

• white_fox
                          Apprentice
                          • Feb 1 2006

tires

Hi
                          I went to 17x7 and they look great .as long as you keep the overall diameter the same you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎