This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Apprentice

65cobra03 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump woes

Hi
When i bought my 60 conv / 430 it had an electric fuel pump installed
& would not run on the mech pump I put a brand new mech pump on & it ran on it for a very short while. I then pulled the pump rod & found it was not an original rod I installed an original (new) rod which was a little over 1/8 longer than the homemade one i took out The car ran fine on it for about 300 mi & then puked I am assuming the centric on the cam has worn beyond it's spec's I thought about adding a spot of weld either to the rod or the pump arm. Has anyone with a 430 run into this scenario It runs fine with the electric but i would like to have both
BEN
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cobra03 View Post

When i bought my 60 conv / 430 it had an electric fuel pump installed & would not run on the mech pump. I put a brand new mech pump on & it ran on it for a very short while. I then pulled the pump rod & found it was not an original rod I installed an original (new) rod which was a little over 1/8 longer than the homemade one i took out. The car ran fine on it for about 300 mi & then puked I am assuming the centric on the cam has worn beyond it's spec's.

I thought about adding a spot of weld either to the rod or the pump arm. Has anyone with a 430 run into this scenario. It runs fine with the electric but i would like to have both

BEN
The overall length of the pushrod is critical-

Quote:
Jason Bare

Frequent Contributor
Member # 2384

posted August 19, 2004 07:38 AM
Yesterday I found a company that professionally rebuilds old componets (fuel pumps, relays etc) and asked them if they could supply me with the proper length of the fuel pump push rods. So here are the results for all.

1958-1963 430CID up to 01 Jan 1963 4.875 inches

1963-1965 430CID after 01 Jan 1963 4.812 inches

1966-1967 462CID 4.812 inches

Hope this info can help anybody else out in the future
You are first going to have to ascertain you have the correct rod and then that the one you found did no damage to the eccentric (most likely homemade).

Then you can perform a fuel pump pressure and delivery test to make sure the pump is working correctly. There is a quality rebuilder of these pumps on the LCOC and I will get you his name if needed. Did you keep the origional pump?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

The measurement of 4.875 is correct for the 59-60 430.
The diameter is 3/8" A photo of a NOS pushrod is below.

Notice that the bottom of the pushrod has a brass tip. This was meant to keep the eccentric from wearing, since it was easier to change the rod rather than the eccentric. I don't know whether that was changed in later production

Hope that helps in addition.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Apprentice

Default fuel pump woes

Hi
The fuel pump is brand new & came from Larry's thunderbirds part's
The push rod came from classique cars unlimited. It has the bronze tip & supposedly was n.o.s I did not check the length I am assuming these vendors shipped the correct parts Today i pulled the fuel inlet line & ran the car to check for pump suction It is barely pulling any vacuum I am assuming the cam is worn enough as not to actuate the pump The new bronze end probaly seated in a wear groove just enough to disable the pump (it did run for about 300 mi) Hassle to benefit ratio tell's me to just use the electric pump This car has air cond an aux coooling fan power steering A lot of taking apart involved to replace the cam IF I COULD FIND ONE Thanks for the quick responses
BEN
Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Question

It is a lot of work to pull off the front accy's on the 430cid motor, the waterpump, timing cover, etc. I'm trying to remember, but didn't the 430's have the fuel pump ecentric BOLT ON to the front of the camshaft?? I don't remember it being actually machined into the end of the camshaft itself? Someone correct me if my mind is slipping here...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

It's bolted on to the end of the cam.

Your suction problem may be very simple. Remove the two screws from the top of the fuel pump. Look inside and see if the two flat circular valves are still in their seats. I had a new NOS pump that blew out the top valve. To fix it, just push the valve into the seat and stake it in 3 places with a flat blade screw driver.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:06 AM
KULTULZ

The Service PN for this period MEL fuel pump eccentric is C0SZ 6287-A if anyone is lucky enough to come across one a parts swap.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Apprentice

Default fuel pump woes

Hi
Thanks bcomo for the tip on the check valves I checked them out earlier & they are intact I am sure my problem is a worn eccentric
I do get a slight amount of vacuum so the (new) push rod is coming up somewhat I have another new (carter) fuel pump on the shelf I thought of either elongating the mount holes & shoving it down a tad or welding a raised spot on the fuel pump arm. I am kind of a purist & hate to cob stuff I probably will just stick with the electric as it run's fine with it i just hate the whirring noise when not under way If i decide to try the above mod's i will post the result's
BEN
Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Apprentice

Colo66 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my 60 430 bird. What I have learned is the following;

Fuel Pump Eccentric
59/60 C0SZ-6287-A

Fuel Pump
59/60 B8S-9350-A
60 C0LE-9350-A replaced by B8S-9350-A

Fuel Pump Arm Assy
59/60 B8S-9376-A for B8S-9350-A pump
60 C0SZ-9376-A for C0LE-9350-A pump

Fuel Pump Rod
59/60 "Id by 2 groves opposite end from bronze tip
use with B9LE-6009-A" (service block?)
C1VE-9400-A
59/60 "Use with B9SZ-6009-A only"
Unable to find listing for this block.
C3VY-9400-B
The two listed pump rods are different length; the C1VE-A is shorter (I think) than the C3VY-B. Judging by the fuel pump arm P/N the C1VE-A rod is for the B8S-A pump. I have both rods NOS and can measure them if any one is interested. I am not sure why they list or what the significant difference is in the two listed cylinder blocks other than the B9LE-A is service replacement and the B9SZ-A is factory installed.
If I'm way out in left field with this, please let me know!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I'd say you are in center field. Great advice.