This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road
Default Help - what is the proper vacuum advance unit?

The vacuum advance diaphragm on my 1959 430 with original distributor is shot. The actuating arm on the one that came out of my car is straight while the arms on all the replacement units that I can find are curved. For instance, Rock auto has AIRTEX Part # 4V1110 for to 7.0L engine, but the arm is curved. Will this one work on the orignal distributor? If not, can someone direct me to a source for the right vacuum advance unit.

Thanks, Vern
Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Curved arm is correct for the 1960 430 original distributor. I would think that the 1959 would be the same.

Last edited by bcomo : 07-25-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:10 AM
KULTULZ

I believe this-

-is what you need.

To be 100% sure, one needs to cross-reference the Dist. I.D. Stamping No. on the bowl in the MPC (I only go back to 1960) to find the correct PN (Basic PN 12370).

As I remember, this same cannister fit a 58 EDSEL 410 another fellow was searching for.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Experienced

Kultulz - YES! that is the part I need. Now to find it. I'll try the basic part number you provided. Does anyone else know of a source?

Thanks, Vern
Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Experienced

tp tbird is on a distinguished road

On my 59 430 is curved.You need to check numbers on yours to see if that is the right one for it.Tom
Old 07-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Experienced

My search for the vacuum advance showed me that this isn't as easy as it would seem. My distributor part number is FEW-12127-H. As far as I've been able to determine the vacuum advance part number I need is B9MF-12370-A(?) or B9AF 12370-A. Anyhow, I did find a FF 314 vacuum chamber on e-bid and bought it. This should be quite a challenge if figuring out the correct number for every part I need gets so confusing.

Vern
Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernz View Post

Kultulz - YES! that is the part I need. Now to find it. I'll try the basic part number you provided. Does anyone else know of a source?

Thanks, Vern
I am not 100% sure that is the correct cannister. It's FORD PN puts it at a 57 FORD V8 (Y-BLOCK). You need to find your DIST. I.D. NO. on the bowl housing below the cap and then cross-reference that in the 49/59 FORD MPC to get the correct SERVICE PART NUMBER.

Then you need to find if the PN is still serviced via FORD or aftermarket or see if you have to find a NOS unit. The correct PN is imperative.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Ford Man

orwin is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 430 Vacuum Advance - another searcher and more info

I have an original 430 J-bird. My vacuum advance is shot also. My car has distributor part # B9MF12127-B, with vacuum advance part # B9AF12378. NAPA and Rockauto list a replacement for the advance, but it is NOT like original. It is a one-pieces sealed unit with a 1/8" smooth nipple (for rubber hose). If anyone knows a source for the correct advance please post here - looks like this is a common problem. My pictures show the parts, note the curved arm.

--- john

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/l...istributor.jpg

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/l...0_vacuum_1.jpg

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/l...0_vacuum_2.jpg
Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Experienced

I found a vacuum advance today that works. Went to a junk yard that had about 5 58-60 Thunderbirds in various states of decomposition. These have been out in the rain and snow with open windows and hoods for who knows how many years. Pulled the vacuum advance off of a 1960 352, part number FEW-12370-A because it had the right actuating arm. This seemed like a good match for my FEW-12127-H distributor (I know I need to get the MPC to look up the right part number). The crazy rusty looking thing actually still works and better yet, works in my car. It actually accelerates now when I hit the gas. Now I need to spend some quality time performing a proper tune up to ensure it is set correctly. Also got a bunch of other miscellaneous parts including a power steering pump, hub cap, power window motors, tail light lens screws, windshield washer nozzles, and even a washer fluid bag that is still flexible! ..all for $50.

I'm happy, Vern
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Nice. How about posting up an address/phone # to that place?

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.