This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Experienced

430MEL is on a distinguished road
Default Squarebird restoration woes

The Squarebird outsold the 55-57 birds by a large amount. You can almost build a 55-57 from scratch with the parts from those vendors. Not so with the Squarebird and not so with the 430 engine. When will the word get out to the restoration market that there is abunch of 58-60 Bird lovers out there. I was told today by three vendors that noone is reproducing the fuel pump for the 430 engine in the Bird. They have the Lincoln pump but it has the holes in different locations requiring a major re-routing of gas lines.
I guess if it was easy they wouldnt call it a hobby!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Squarebird restoration woes

Twenty years ago, I was very jealous of the repro parts availability of the 55-57 T-Birds. There was little besides repro patch panels and weatherstripping parts for the Squarebirds. The situation for our cars is pretty good and getting better by the day. This is all due to demand from people like us.

Cannot your fuel pump be rebuilt?

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Experienced

Yea I'm planning on getting it rebuilt, but its just the point that there is a market for Squarebird parts and I guess it is getting better but will it ever get as good as the 55-57.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Call A & M Auto Supply in Los Gatos, Calif. 408-356-5141. Ask for Wayne (part time-semi retired)

They'll have it (or can get it. Get a Carter if it's avai.

John
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Seems like I have 2 get one every 2-3 years on my Bird, as I don't drive it much. But they warranty it every time, so I'm turning in cores!!

However, now I'm scared after reading this thread....
Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 PM

Blakbird is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 430 Fuel Pump

Larry's Thunderbird lists a 430 Fuel Pump Part #B9350E on Page 43 of his 2007 catalog

www.larrystbird.com
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Andy:

Do you still need a 430 pump? I replaced mine with a NOS from E-Bay for $59.95. It is the correct pump with inlet and outlet 90 degrees apart. Works fine.

Item:FORD THUNDERBIRD LINCOLN 1958 1959 1960 430 FUEL PUMP (290137931005)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 430pump.jpg (17.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Default Holly Carb

Gentlemen now that you atre discussing fuel pumps I need your advice collectively. I have a Holly carb which works wonderful at mid to high end speeds but not when idling. I should have known from past experienec that you can go through 10 of these and MAY get one that works fine. I have the idle set at just over 800 and still is rough when at idle under load. For you carb guys out there, what is the preferred choice Carter, Edelbrock and why. I want to replace the Holly sometime in the fall, as we are not always on the highway. I went to a S&S last weekend and came out following a couple of old boys in 48 / 49 chevs respectively. They wren't going any faster than 50, so of course I kicked the 58 into passing mode and exploded passed them. Like I said we do drive these birds in the city.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada

Dano Calgary,Alberta
Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Experienced

Default Fuel pump

I bought the same fuel pump, going to get my old one rebuilt as a spare.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Did you have any problems screwing the canister fuel filter into the pump? Mine was really hard to start the first few threads -- almost striped it. I'm using a NAPA filter. I wonder if that's the problem. Where did you get your fuel filter from?