This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

Husky35 is on a distinguished road
Default 430 engine building...

posted on MEL site also.

In my previous post I think I mentioned that I bought my car (59 tbird) and the engine had already been "done". It wasn't original but we figured out it was an early 430 59/60. We are finding out that the bottom half was done, 4 cylinders sleeved, crank ground, new pistons, etc. Question 1- I have the "non-wedged" pistons (pardon my ignorance). What is the effect on drivability or type of gas I have to use?

We have discovered that the oil pump is thesame as an FE only the drive shaft is longer to accomodate the vacuum pump, as well as the distributor is the same. This is very good news as I really want a "pretty" distributor.

Question 2-the valley cover was shot, so I bought one on ebay. It doesn't fit. There is a baffle on the block that sticks up and is not allowing it to be bolted down. the new one also has a pcv vent. Can I remove the baffle? I would like to use the pcv vent instead of a down draft tube.

Question 3- the pan is shot. Is the pan unique to the 430 or is it also an FE?

By the way, the cam is off to get reground and we are replacing the valves with stainless valve.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Default 430's

You need to contact an expert on these. They are a "Wedge motor. One of the locals rebuilt the 430 in his Lincoln Conv a few yrs ago. A set of (correct) pistons was $1800.00
Scary !!!!! Be careful !!! The deck of the block is machined a few degrees (I forget the exact #) to create the wedge combustion chamber. Different than any other Ford config.

Do allot of checking !!

John
Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 AM
Apprentice

Default I know but...

My engine guy doesn't think it will be a problem. It lowers the compression from 10.5 to 8.5 which means I lose some HP but can use regular. Unfortunately, it is what it is. Here is my new web page:
http://www.squarebirds.org/users/husky35/

I have a few pictures of the motor in it. Not nearly done yet.

Rich
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing those pictures Rich.... nice body panel you had welded in there... that wasn't "store bought" was it?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Apprentice

Default panel

The panel was "store bought" but not by me. It came in the van full of stuff. Unfortunately I don't know where it came from.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, I spent more time trying to figure out how to post it than it took to make it. Its not perfect yet, I noticed some of the links aren't working. It will get better.

Might have to put some ads in there to help pay for the resto...just kidding. Just bought a carb today...yippee!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
KULTULZ

-MEL ENGINE COMBUSTION CHAMBER DESIGN-
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Experienced

JBird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky35 View Post
posted on MEL site also.

In my previous post I think I mentioned that I bought my car (59 tbird) and the engine had already been "done". It wasn't original but we figured out it was an early 430 59/60. We are finding out that the bottom half was done, 4 cylinders sleeved, crank ground, new pistons, etc. Question 1- I have the "non-wedged" pistons (pardon my ignorance). What is the effect on drivability or type of gas I have to use?

We have discovered that the oil pump is thesame as an FE only the drive shaft is longer to accomodate the vacuum pump, as well as the distributor is the same. This is very good news as I really want a "pretty" distributor.

Question 2-the valley cover was shot, so I bought one on ebay. It doesn't fit. There is a baffle on the block that sticks up and is not allowing it to be bolted down. the new one also has a pcv vent. Can I remove the baffle? I would like to use the pcv vent instead of a down draft tube.

Question 3- the pan is shot. Is the pan unique to the 430 or is it also an FE?

By the way, the cam is off to get reground and we are replacing the valves with stainless valve.
Dave here. I might be able to help you out on the 430 valley cover.

Last edited by JBird : 03-29-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Apprentice

Default Valley cover done, but working on MSD distrib.

Hey Dave, hope you are feeling well.

I found one a long time ago but forgot to post that its done. My engine is now complete. Cost more than I thought, but probably less than it could. Check out my website periodically to see the progress. Also..

I have been working with Brian on the prototype MSD distributor. Ok, he's doing the work, I'm just there for moral support. Anyway, i think this will be a significant upgrade and we will show pictures as the project progresses. See http://www.network54.com/Forum/25736...UTOR+PROTOTYPE thread for details. Originally we thought we would have to make some sort of nylon bushing/seal for the hold down, but looks like Brian has figured it out. If anyone is interested, contact me or Brian bestrada11@hotmail.com for details. Like Brian says, we are looking for a small production run, so every one helps.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

430 oil pans are different, but u probably figured that out already. It took me a LONG TIME to get my replacment!!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
KULTULZ

Post Mel Valley Pans

Just a reminder-

The 58/60 MEL valley pan is of the same design (road draft) and was changed in 1961 for PCV.