This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Apprentice

Infinite Monkeys is on a distinguished road
Default Steering control valve to ram fluid line routing

I was about to plum the valve and the ram and realized I did not take note of how the lines were connected before removing them. According to the manual the back port on the valve goes to the back port on the ram and same for the front ports on the two parts. (The orientation of the ports is as they are attached on the vehicle. The back port is the back of the car, front port is the front of the car)

Is this correct? I'll only get one chance at it, if I'm wrong then it's back to the parts store for another tube.

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The lines run straight, they do not cross over. If you have the factory metal lines they run over the pitman arm as per the picture. If you have rubber lines they run under the arm.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering linkage.jpg (56.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg steering linkage 58.jpg (194.2 KB, 60 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Apprentice

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Apprentice

Default All done

Done with the steering ram, valve reseal. Put in new valve to ram hard lines, made my own for about 10 X less than the cost of buying from a vendor. No leaks, looks good.

Just want to say thank you all.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Tbird6 is on a distinguished road

Hopefully the hard lines won't leak on you.

I never could get the solid tubing setup to last and not leak. There is enough movement between the control valve and the cylinder that the hard lines can't take it.

I finally converted to the flexible rubber hoses. I figured that was why Ford eventually went that way too.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird6 View Post
Hopefully the hard lines won't leak on you.

I never could get the solid tubing setup to last and not leak. There is enough movement between the control valve and the cylinder that the hard lines can't take it.

I finally converted to the flexible rubber hoses. I figured that was why Ford eventually went that way too.
I did not consider the movement causing a leak in time, but I can see how it's probably inevitable. We'll see.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Interesting to learn that Ford switched to rubber hose? I've only seen the metal lines for sale. Who sells the rubber hose? It should fit more than one application.

Dean
Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
Interesting to learn that Ford switched to rubber hose? I've only seen the metal lines for sale. Who sells the rubber hose? It should fit more than one application.

Dean
All the vendors should carry them. Here they are from Mac's.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_th...-ram-1960.html

John

Old 09-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Be aware that the metal lines were appropriate for the '60 and the fittings are 5/16". The rubber lines are correct for the 58-9 and the fittings are 1/4" and would need adapters to fit the '60.
Carl
Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsetal View Post
Be aware that the metal lines were appropriate for the '60 and the fittings are 5/16". The rubber lines are correct for the 58-9 and the fittings are 1/4" and would need adapters to fit the '60.
Carl
According to the info on Mac's website the rubber hoses are 5/16" or come with a fitting adapter. The description is confusing. They must be new as I don't remember 5/16" hoses being available in rubber before.

John