X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Kickdown linkage

I finally got my kickdown linkage set properly.....I think, when I put the pedal to the metal it kicks down into 2nd, but it only stays in 2nd for about 3 seconds, is this right? Am i supposed to keep it to the floor longer to keep it in 2nd longer? Thanks!
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Ok, I think I understand how it works, correct me if I'm wrong. When you want to pass someone you push the gas pedal to the floor, the trans drops down to 2nd, it will stay in 2nd as long as you keep the pedal to the floor, let up and it shifts to 3rd. What if I'm doing about 80mph, is it safe to drop down to 2nd at that speed, ok for transmission? Thanks!

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
      Ok, I think I understand how it works, correct me if I'm wrong. When you want to pass someone you push the gas pedal to the floor, the trans drops down to 2nd, it will stay in 2nd as long as you keep the pedal to the floor, let up and it shifts to 3rd. What if I'm doing about 80mph, is it safe to drop down to 2nd at that speed, ok for transmission? Thanks!
      You've got it right: mash the pedal into the floor and the trans will drop into 2nd and stay there as long as you keep the pedal down hard - UNTIL the motor reaches a factory determined speed then the trans will jump back up to top gear.

i.e. the kick-down function in the trans won't let the trans kick down or stay in 2nd beyond a certain speed.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎