This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM

sshoureas is on a distinguished road
Question 1965 Thunderbird AC question

Hello All, I'm new to the forum as I just picked up a time capsule 1965 Thunderbird. I bought it as having ice cold AC although after getting it home I find the compressor clutch not engaging. I jumpered the clutch and the compressor engaged so it seems it isn't getting 12V. The underhood wiring doesn't appear damaged anywhere, again its a low mileage not messed with car so hacked up wiring likely won't be the problem. I have the repair manual on the way but for now it seems it might point back the HVAC control in the console? Sound right? After jumpering the clutch the cold line did did cold and began condensating. The sight glass showed some bubbling so it seems it may be low. I couldn't pick up much in the way of cool air inside but again the refrigerant charge is probably too low.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by sshoureas : 07-24-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. My first thought is that you may have a bad thermostatic switch or a vacuum leak to the switch. Those small vacuum hoses have a tendency to get brittle and crack over time causing leaks. If you look at the manual when you receive it you will see the large number of vacuum hoses that control the AC system. The first thing I would do is to check all the vacuum connections under the hood including the vacuum canister. That can leak and cause the AC system not to function. Here's the diagram from the manual.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac hoses.jpg (220.3 KB, 65 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 PM

John - Great advice, thanks! The diagram shows I'll keep busy for a while making sure blend doors and so forth work as they should but the clutch not engaging would point to an electrical cause, correct? With a jumper to 12V it does engage so I'd assume its either a fuse, wiring or an issue with the HVAC controller in the console? Do these fail very often? The vacuum diagram should help me sort out whether the doors and other vacuum operated components are working correctly. I am encouraged though to find the cold line dripping with condensation when I jumper the clutch. That seems to point to the system generally being capable though with a bug or two to resolve.

Thanks again for your quick advice and the diagram.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:14 PM

The thermostatic switch controls the clutch. If that's not working the clutch will never engage.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg therm switch.jpg (43.4 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by jopizz : 07-24-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:04 PM

John - I'm getting ready to dig into this issue this week after clearly my plate of some immediate home projects. If the AC charge is low will that keep the thermostatic switch from allowing the clutch to engage such as more modern cars do to protect the compressor?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshoureas View Post
If the AC charge is low will that keep the thermostatic switch from allowing the clutch to engage such as more modern cars do to protect the compressor?
No. The thermostatic switch only opens and shuts off the clutch when the evaporator gets to a certain temperature to prevent freeze up. If it's low in refrigerant the switch will remain closed and the clutch will still be engaged.

John

Old 08-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

That's good to know because I thought the clutch wouldn't engage if refrigerant was low. I thought the system needed oil to prevent a catastrophic failure, and so the clutch wouldn't engage unless refrigerant met an acceptable level.

Dean
Old 08-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
That's good to know because I thought the clutch wouldn't engage if refrigerant was low. I thought the system needed oil to prevent a catastrophic failure, and so the clutch wouldn't engage unless refrigerant met an acceptable level.

Dean
The original type compressors used in Thunderbirds had a separate oil fill port so you could add oil without discharging and opening the system. I believe manufacturers began installing cut off switches in the refrigerant lines back in the 70's. Obviously burning out compressors due to lack of refrigerant was a big problem. It was pretty much left up to the owner to check the sight glass and determine when it was low.

John

Old 08-23-2017, 11:44 PM
Apprentice

torpedo is on a distinguished road
Default A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshoureas View Post
Hello All, I'm new to the forum as I just picked up a time capsule 1965 Thunderbird. I bought it as having ice cold AC although after getting it home I find the compressor clutch not engaging. I jumpered the clutch and the compressor engaged so it seems it isn't getting 12V. The underhood wiring doesn't appear damaged anywhere, again its a low mileage not messed with car so hacked up wiring likely won't be the problem. I have the repair manual on the way but for now it seems it might point back the HVAC control in the console? Sound right? After jumpering the clutch the cold line did did cold and began condensating. The sight glass showed some bubbling so it seems it may be low. I couldn't pick up much in the way of cool air inside but again the refrigerant charge is probably too low.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I've run into this problem quite extensively, as the experts mentioned it could be the vacuum hoses (loose or cracked), if the compressor is not working check the compressor clutch line leading through the firewall underneath the console directly under the steering column or your switch part #19A945, mine had a damaged diaphragm (tiny hairline split) which I repaired after purchasing another. Both work fine. It can be repaired with patience when you know this part is hard to find. Hope this helps as I to am learning thanks to this forum.