This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Apprentice

Wyldie is on a distinguished road
Default Tack strip mount 60 conv

Hi guys
Looks like some water has been sitting on my convertible top tack strip channel. As a result its rusted away.

Had a quick look at some suppliers, couldn't see it as a viable part does anyone know where I can get them I've attached a pic

Last edited by Wyldie : 06-25-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Check with Carl Heller (partsetal). He can probably tell you what to use to replace it. He may even have something that he stocks.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

What you're experiencing with the tack strip is typical. The correct options are limited, while some installers claim that the rubber/plastic tack strip commonly available will do the job when riveted in place. It is a good tacking surface but it is not rigid and will pull between the rivets over time.
The first photo is an undamaged original with the tack strip wedged into the grooves. (The factory used a rope like paper material in these strips) The piece shown is missing the 14" straight pieces that go on each end.
The second photo shows tacking/metal strip that is used on many cars, but bending it to the squarebird tight curves causes it to kink. It could be cut in several pieces to eliminate the curves but the remaining sections would have to be bent over a mandrel of some sort. It does provide excellent retention of the top.
The third photo shows a substitute method that I tried last fall. The purpose is to prevent the rubber/plastic tacking strip from pulling upwards (where the stress is when the top is up). I was able to use a shrinker/streetcher to form it to the squarebird curves.
The last photo shows a trial fit of the tacking strip to the mounted metal backing. The tacking strip is riveted and glued to the metal, the bend at the top of the metal will prevent the tacking strip from deforming and loosening the top. This is my first attempt at this and I won't get to see the long term results unless the new owner has a complaint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tack1.jpg (507.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg tack2.jpg (136.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg tack3.jpg (137.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg tack4.jpg (98.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

Wyldie is on a distinguished road

Thanks Carl, great information, I'll try and give it a go making my own