This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road
Default Body Plugs

Has anyone ever identified, categorized, or cataloged all the rubber body plugs? I installed 4 trunk lid plugs and see at least 6 more holes in the lid. I plugged the big trunk hole where the spare sits and wonder what else I can plug. Ha, ha.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Why did you plug the hole in the spare tire well? That's there to allow any water that might get in to drain out. There's a difference between casting holes and drains holes. Drain holes should not be plugged for obvious reasons.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Experienced

Because it was there? I thought I recall my brother's 1964 had the hole rubber plugged. I could be wrong about that, but to have a hole in the bottom of the trunk floor seems against every integrity issue I know. To have a hole that can let water out if unplugged seems logical. Where is this water coming from that has to be let out immediately?

BYTW, I sealed my rear window where water was coming into the trunk. The "drain hole" never saw any water since the trunk liner material absorbed about a quart.

So you are saying Ford has never officially addressed the plug holes separately?

Dean
Old 06-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Interestingly mine has a plug in the spare tire hole too!

Can't say for sure it's always been there but seems to have some of the same tar-like undercoating on the outside area of the plug matching the rest of the spare tire well.

It's not extremely tight - I always figured water could seep out if enough found it's way in there. Better not be any water in my trunk - my clothes would be all wet.

Bet we won't find any dealer brochures etc from '58-'60 showing the trunk without a spare so we can confirm -

I'm missing one of the plugs in the splash shield directly behind the front tire.

Eric
Old 06-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Experienced

[QUOTE Eric said: I'm missing one of the plugs in the splash shield directly behind the front tire.
]

Yes, me too and so I stuck a rubber plug there. The undercoating was removed around the hole. I didn't know what the access might for except the electric antenna?

Dean
Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 PM

9310alloy is on a distinguished road
Default Plug ...

Are you talking about the plug or hole for access to the hood latch to release / trip if the cable breaks or jambs ..??
Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Super-Experienced

Fortunately those are still there on mine - guess the hood never got stuck (knock on wood) and they haven't needed to be removed.

The one I'm missing is in the wheel well area directly behind the tire. You can just see the bottom edge of the hole in this pic when I was converting to discs (top right between the splash shield for the rotor and the fender).

My guess it was a body assembly / alignment hole. The undercoating is gone around the edge of mine too where the lip of the plug used to be.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:44 AM
Experienced

It's a little challenge to plug as the opening wasn't flat. I think it's a 1 inch hole, but I can't recall now that it's plugged up.

You would think some concours publication would address what's a drain hole, what's a casting hole, and what should be plugged along with the size. It's not a big deal, but I like addressing these types of issues.

Dean
Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Super-Experienced

Just double checked - that must be an optical delusion in my pic because there is not a plug on the drivers side (except for the hood release as Mike mentions) - only the passenger side.

Yea - we have that info for the MG's I work on but still find discrepancies now and again.

281-848 GROMMET SET, complete (52 pieces) $52.99

When are you putting together the Tbird info and kit?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Experienced

Eric, 52 pieces? For a while I thought I had a problem. I would assume some of those are firewall grommets. Let's see: wheel opening. Check. 4 trunk lid. Check. Trunk hole at spare. Check? Do the 4 brake adjuster grommets count?

Dean