No announcement yet.

New to the Forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Forum

I just acquired a 1963 convertible with straight rust-free metal. However it came disassembled and in numerous bags and boxes.
    I'm in the process of putting it together to make sure everything works before beginning the restoration process.

First concern is that there was tinfoil instead of fuses in the fuse panel.

As I sort through the hanging wires and hoses there is a wire that goes for the positive battery terminal through the firewall. I cant find where it terminates.

There should be a circuit breaker or some type of fuse behind the instrument panel.

Appreciate help in finding connect point.

Thank you
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Welcome to Squarebirds.org, Cam. I'm honored to be first to answer your question.

Being new, you need to familiarize yourself with our forums and their headings.

Look inside your, '1961 to 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion' forum for this sticky post:
    Technical Resource Library Link
    Inside, you will find a host of great information including wiring diagrams.

It's also essential that you get a Shop Manual for your car. It is available at many vendor sites. We answer questions that the Shop Manual is vague about.

For wiring, we go by wire colors because that is how the manuals spell out the scheme. If you're not familiar with classic Ford cars, if you see R-G on a diagram that can mean EITHER a red wire with a green trace OR a solid red wire with a green connector on the ends.

I'm here with many other helpful folks to answer your questions. You mentioned a wire. What color is it? - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

I also purchased a 63 several years ago and can't stress enough the importance of having all the manuals. You will find the Convertible Top manual is worth its weight in gold when you start getting the top switches adjusted. All the manuals will have the information you are looking for as you attack different areas of restoration. Enjoy the ride!!

Comment

New to the forum

Gentlemen thank you for your input.

I have ordered shop manuals and Jim Osborn Electrical and Assembly manuals but want to do something while I wait by trying to identify some of the wires and hoses dangling under the dash. The wire I'm trying to trace is red and about 8 or 10 guage.

Thanks

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

You have a circuit breaker and 'Window Safety Relay' that are fed with a red wire from the starter solenoid. I believe the circuit breaker is next to the starter solenoid and the Window Safety Relay is mounted on the firewall (under the hood).

The circuit breaker is 30-amp so #10 wire sounds right. The contacts on this relay feed your window switch control panel. The coil for this relay is controlled by the key switch.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

New to the forum

Thank you

This should help trace the wire. This car had it connected directly to the +ve battery post.

Making progress- think all heater A/C hoses are connected correctly. Will be able to verify when manual arrive.

Again help is much appreciated.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Ok but if you think about it, I guess it doesn't matter whether you connect at the battery terminal or the other end of the same wire.

Correct wiring puts the breaker at the (battery side of the) starter solenoid.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎