This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road
Default Signals

Hi Gang, I was out driving in the Bird and the signals were fine, then half way home I noticed they stopped working.

Is there a fuse or do you think the flasher packed it in. The dash indicator isn't going on and staying on, there's nothing.

Thoughts?
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Do you have a wiring diagram?

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Do you have a wiring diagram?
I just found one on the TRL, I see an inline fuse someplace after the flasher, I'll climb around under the dash, see if I can find it.

You'd think nobody had invented a fuse box, so confusing.
Red Leather Interior!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Slow Typist

I believe that flasher fuse is on the rear of your headlight switch, as shown in the diagram. It is NOT in-line.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-22-2017, 02:55 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I believe that flasher fuse is on the rear of your headlight switch, as shown in the diagram. It is NOT in-line.
I don't want to argue with the guru of Squarebirds but I think it's on the green and ylo wire coming out of the switch, but I'll check the fuses on the switch first and report back. Would make it easier if it's the switch, I know where that is!!!
Red Leather Interior!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:42 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
I don't want to argue with the guru of Squarebirds but I think it's on the green and ylo wire coming out of the switch, but I'll check the fuses on the switch first and report back. Would make it easier if it's the switch, I know where that is!!!
This is an open forum open to the internet. We want to know of any deviation from "factory stock."

Our prints show green with a yellow trace (Green-Yellow) start at the headlight switch (D-post). That wire feeds both door switches with power.

You refer to 'switch' but I don't know which one. If you are looking for a 1960 Thunderbird turn signal unit wire it should be Blue. Power for the flasher unit starts as orange-yellow at the key switch and continues to the headlight switch fuse, then to the flasher unit. After the flasher unit, the wire continues to the steering column connectors (look for a blue wire and blue bullet connector).

I have to say, a blown fuse in the middle of a trip is very rare. Fuses usually blow when something happens to cause overcurrent. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

The fuse is on the headlight switch and a short one. I had to tape (insulate) the flasher unit connections because they touched metal and shorted out once accidently. That killed the brake lights and therefore the turn signals, I think.

Dean
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I had exactly the same thing happen as Dean.

Does the flasher unit have a physical home or is it just kind of on its own? Mine was just stuffed up in the wiring jumble and thus free to move around.

John
Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The flasher unit clamps to the side of the dash frame behind the instrument panel on the right side. You can see it in the picture where the white tabs are. Trying to get it back in place is nearly impossible so I just tape it where it's more convenient and it won't touch any metal.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flasher.jpg (38.4 KB, 89 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Slow Typist

It's important to note, Ford kept the same mounting place for the flasher unit but made a wiring change in the Squarebird after 1958.

Flasher Unit Power
1958 Squarebirds had a headlight switch with ONE fuse holder attached to the back. Let's start with power at the key switch (A-terminal, Orange-Yellow wire) that feeds the in-line fuse. The fuse feeds the flasher unit, then on to the steering column bullet connector (Blue).

1959 and 1960 Squarebirds had a headlight switch with TWO fuse holders attached to the back. Many vendors only sell this switch, today. It doesn't hurt to have that 'extra' fuse holder and it works for all Squarebirds.

Wiring for these two years is similar to the '58 in that, power still comes from the key switch (A-terminal, Orange-Yellow wire), then it continues to the fuse on the rear of the headlight switch. The fuse feeds the flasher unit, then on to the steering column bullet connector (Blue).

This change is very minor but still different.
Flasher unit power is different from brake light power. In all years, your steering column is fed from two different power sources; one from the brake light circuit and the other from the flasher unit circuit. Remember, turn signals interrupt brake lights.

Stop Switch Power
1958 and 1959 Squarebirds started their stop switch power at the headlight switch (A-terminal, Green wire). It fed the stop (pressure) switch. The 'A' terminal is already protected by the fuse on the back of the headlight switch. The brake switch feeds the steering column through a (Green) wire and bullet connectors.

1960 Squarebird brake lights are wired differently. They have a separate in-line fuse mounted right next to the key switch. Power starts at the key switch (B-terminal, Green wire) that feeds the stop switch. The fuse feeds the steering column (Green ) bullet connectors.

Steering Column wires
For all Squarebird troubleshooting convenience, ALL stop and signal lights can be tested at the steering column bullet connectors. Simply follow the wiring colors in the diagram:

Power
from brake switch - Green
from flasher unit - Blue

Front Lamps
RH Signal - White-Blue
LH Signal - Green-White

Rear Lamps
RH Stop/Signal - Orange-Blue
LH Stop/Signal - Green-Orange

There are two more bullet connectors
horn button - Blue-Yellow
PRNDL lamp - Blue-Red