This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default Interior paint advice . . .

hi everyone!

With the help of a number of people, I have all the parts lined up to rebuild my shifter mechanism.

Among the parts I bought is a new shift collar from Larry's. It is in a nice teal sort of color. I really like teal. Unfortunately the interior of my '58 is in red.

Can anyone recommend a spray can of red that will provide a good match to the original?

Thanks!
John
Old 04-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The problem is that your steering column is probably sun faded so a color that may be a good match for one person's car may not match yours. SEM Portola Red is a good match for the original upholstery color but you may have to paint the entire steering column and not just the new shift collar. My suggestion is to take your old shift collar to a store that has a large selection of paint and see if you can find something close in a spray can.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-16-2017, 12:45 AM
John

John, fade is my middle name . . . An orange touch seems to have evolved over the years.

I have had some luck with Testor's Dullcote to reduce the newness of paint.

Repainting the entire column seems like a terrific idea! Thanks!

John
Old 04-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The SEM Portola Red is a vinyl spray but it works just as well on metal. I've used it on just about every part of the interior. It doesn't have a high gloss so you shouldn't have a problem with it looking too new.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-16-2017, 02:15 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

I painted the inside window surrounds on my '66 and had the rattle cans made up at a local paint shop that has a paint matching service.

I took off the gas filler cover and took it to the paint shop for them to use to colour match the paint.

Totally satisfied with the end result.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

John:
The teal color I believe is just a primer coat. I used Rustoleum "Heritage Red" low sheen. I was happy with the results, however I did paint the entire column to get a good match. As Jopizz already stated, it would be hard to color match faded paint.
Forgot to say, Happy Easter to All.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering Column.jpg (208.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I've been very lucky because the interior of mine is semi-gloss black, and Duplicolor Ford Black engine paint matched perfectly. A guy owed me a favor and powder coated my steering column.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:31 PM
John

Nyles, thank you and Happy Easter to everyone!

Never would have occurred to me that the teal was a primer.

Yadkin, you are a lucky man!

I will definitely paint the whole thing one color.

john