This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:00 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default Steering column opportunities?

Sometime in the next month or so I plan to swap my worn out steering box assembly for a rebuilt one (thanks to Partsetal !).

Here's my question: while I am in the process of doing this, are there any parts in the column area I should be replacing, while the opportunity is there?

The car has maybe 175K miles and none of that ever touched.

Any experiences or thoughts? Automatic transmission (COM), 352 motor.

thanks!
John
Old 03-22-2017, 09:51 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

John, I understand there is a lower bearing in the column that gets sloppy and should be replaced. I think Ray had his done. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 PM
John

meaning that the steering column rotates within this bearing
as it is turned??

I would think such a thing would be pretty worn by now.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

The only thing I can think of that was worked on in the steering column of Rose was the shift tube selector arm. Mine was pretty well worn inside the ring and the notch. Back then, I did not know you could get a new replacement for it, so my mechanic welded mine up, to take away the wear, smoothed it out and put it back in again, and it worked. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have bought a new one... This is one of several problem areas in the steering column that many have problems with in getting the shift lever to stay in park. It requires taking out the steering column, stripping it down, and replacing that unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShiftTubeSelectorArm.jpg (10.3 KB, 75 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

John:
I don't think there is a "lower" bearing for the shift tube or column. The shift tube registers on a boss on the steering gear box, with a rubber oil seal, to keep the shift tube centered on the steering shaft. If you already have a new steering box, you know that the steering shaft is integral with the box, and the lower bearings are inside the steering gearbox.
There is a upper bearing with taper bushing located below the steering wheel.
As for parts to replace, there is a list if you want to rebuild the column. My first question is, how sloppy is your shift indicator? If you need to tighten this up, there are several parts that need to be replaced: Detent plate, shift tube selector arm and shift collar. It is also a good idea to pull the shift selector arm and look at the notches at the bottom of the arm. If they are rounded and worn, it is a good idea to replace the arm also. It will lock into place much better with the new detent plate. I already mentioned the rubber seal at the bottom of the steering column, and there is also a rubber gasket that goes on the plate that mounts to the firewall. This plate will need to be removed in order to remove the steering column.
The shift tube selector arm and lower rubber seal should be replaced, as these can only be replaced with the column out of the car. The other parts can be replaced later when the column is installed. Just depends on how much $$ and time you want to spend.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4490.jpg (367.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4488.jpg (248.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4487.jpg (309.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4486.jpg (331.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2835.jpg (330.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:43 PM

I see that Nyles has posted some good pix of his steering column. I will give you a few more, including one of how that notch and the inner ring were badly worn. Other components were gone over by my mechanic, cleaned up, and re-installed after the shift tube selector arm was repaired. Here are some more pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InnerShaftEndSection.jpg (28.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg InnerShaftMidSection.jpg (38.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg InnerSteeringColumnFitsIntoShiftCollar.jpg (30.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg PartNoTagOnInner ShaftEnd.jpg (33.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg WornShiftTubeSelectorArm.jpg (74.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg RefinishedSteeringColumn1.jpg (58.7 KB, 76 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 AM
John

Great photos!!!

Are any of these parts available? either repro or NOS ? I am guessing they are unique to 58-60 like many other parts.

thanks!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:17 AM

John, the Shift Tube Selector Arm is available new from the Tbird Parts houses, like the Bird Nest. As for other components of the steering column, I would call the Bird Nest, as to speak to Don and he should be able to tell you what is available new. Or perhaps Carl ~ partsetal can. He may know, may have new parts, or used good parts from his Squarebirds parts cars..

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 03-23-2017, 01:32 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

John:
Most of the parts are available from any of the TBird parts vendors. I posted some part numbers and prices a while back.
Here is a link to the post: http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...teering+column
Also, check the TRL, as there are some great pictures and good info there.
Nyles
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 AM
John

Thanks , guys! A terrific collection of information. Now I have
some studying to do.

My shifter assembly is definitely worn. About like the steering box (no surprise there).

Thanks again!

john