This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 PM

MagicMan is on a distinguished road
Default Do You guy's Agree or DisAgree...???

The 58-60 was the BiG 3 that decided to embark into the MuscleCar era...
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Interesting question.

I've recenty enjoyed this article: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/mu...ained-history/

I always thought of the 1964 Pontiac Tempest as the first muscle car. But in fact the '49 Olds was. That era ended because of deadly race accidents.

So the early 60's was really the second wave of muscle cars. That ended due to insurance concerns plus environmental regulations.

I believe that we are currently witnessing the 3rd.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

First printed use of the term "Muscle Car" (Jan '64) was describing one of my favorites - the 1964 Land Rover.

Now doesn't that look muscular?

Next printing was in Oct '65 describing the Dodge Coronet.

DODGE CORONET becomes "muscle car" with Hemi-426 engine, but relies on drum brakes only. Rally suspension makes car remarkably well-balanced and good-handling. *

My opinion has always been that 40's - 50's factory performance cars are "Super Cars". That was the term used for the cars at the time.

Not to be confused with other cars in the 40's and 50's known as "Sports Cars". I consider the baby birds to fall in the Sports Car category. The Corvette of that time was considered a Sports Car and comparing it to what was on the market I'd agree.

The 60's and maybe through to a few in the late 80's is what I consider the "Muscle Car" era and as Steve mentions - it appears the Muscle Car is back. There were a few thrown in on occasion between the 80's and now.

I consider the Retro Birds and the baby birds a sports car - the Battle Bird included. All other Tbirds are - to me - "Personal Luxury" cars as Ford promoted. I've never considered any Thunderbird a Muscle Car - even the Super Coupes although they seem to come the closest to the criteria of a muscle car.

And we can modify any year car from the teens up - I consider that a "Hot Rod" or "Rod".

Of course - you can turn a Squarebird into a Muscle Car - Greg Deburg's car is an example I would consider as a Muscle Car or possibly a Rod.

Greg - what do you consider you car to be?

But then the exceptions creap in - like the factory built MGB with an aluminum block 215 V8. Is that a factory muscle car or still a sports car on steroids?

Don't think there was a particular year that represents the turning point though......

My 2 cents.

Eric

*(ref - http://english.stackexchange.com/que...cars-called-so)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I suppose my car would be classified as a Franken-mobile
Old 01-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Bonny & Clyde's 1934 Ford would have been classed as a Muscle Car for its time. In my opinion there's two categories in Muscle Cars. The ones that have been worked on after leaving the Factory, & the Factory ones starting in the Mid to Late 60s.

Chris......From OZ.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 PM

MagicMan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply's fellas, I was just thinking about a old muscle car history book I had as a teenager. The book talked about how people would modify their cars for drag races in the 50's and how the BiG 3 started to cater to the market in the 60's.

When I think about the 58-60 Tbird the concept has Muscle Car all over it IMO, of course I know it is not officially considered a Muscle Car.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I think that the most accepted definition of "factory muscle car" is stuffing their most powerful engine into one of their smaller vehicle models. Since the TBirds of this era are big cars, they don't meet this definition. But the engines that powered them were definitely used in the factory muscle cars of the same era.

In fact, although I don't know when the practice started and ended, but the "Thunderbird" engine was an available option for several other models.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In fact, although I don't know when the practice started and ended, but the "Thunderbird" engine was an available option for several other models.

Without doing any research my opinion would be it started with the Y-Block engines as "Thunderbird Special" Y-Blocks were in the passenger cars. Have to do a bit of reading to narrow it down to 55 or 56.

Edit: A quick look in the Standard Catalog of American cars mentions the Thunderbird engine as a 292 available for 55 as well as 56, and also Thunderbird Special as a 312 beginning in 56.

Last edited by Joe Johnston : 01-26-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

There are a lot of cars with muscle starting with the '49 Olds to the '62 Catalina Super Duty. I was a kid, but it seems no one referred to these as Muscle Cars at the time. I would agree the 1964 GTO would be the first officially since it was an intermediate with a "big block" 389.

Dean
Old 01-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

I always think of a purpose built car, simply for going fast most often in a straight line.

Old school big block Catalinas and Chevs make the cut, you could order them with no power options and they had giant 421 and 409s all with six packs and 4 speeds, they to me at least better fit the mold.

Even the tri 5 Chevy's don't fit into the Muscle Car category, but putting a T-Bird in is like saying a Caddy or Lincoln is a Muscle Card because they shoe horned a big block in. But the weren't built for speed, that defines it to me!
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm