This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road
Default Front Suspension and Disk Brake Upgrade

From this thread here

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...00071#poststop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Take a look at this pic - the blue line represents the amount of distance away from the spindle center line at the top. You can see the '77 Tbird spindle (and probably other full size Ford spindles) would stick out further at the top than Tbird or Granada spindles.

It would appear I have the 77 Bird spindles/brakes.

What is odd is that setup was on the 60 I got for parts,
and that car saw upwards of 6K miles when it was
all together. It did not appear to have severe
camber problems when I picked it up and tire
wear sure does not appear to be heavy on the
positive camber.

That car did have some kind of aftermarket spring,
so I'm wondering if a lowered ride height pushed the
lower control arm more flat and outward. Couldn't of
been that low as he had a 235 width, 15" tire on them
and no clearance problems.

So now I'm not sure how I want to proceed. I sand blasted
all the parts, but hate to start powder coating if I can't
use this stuff. I would stuff all the parts back on the
parts car with out the springs, but I already removed
upper control arm bushings.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

It would appear the '77 Tbird bottom balljoint hole is also further in, i.e. it looks like is going to put the spindle at the same angle more or less as the squarebird one.
Only it will put the wheel further out from the centre of the car.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
It would appear the '77 Tbird bottom balljoint hole is also further in, i.e. it looks like is going to put the spindle at the same angle more or less as the squarebird one.
I agree, just going off of what DKheld tried with his setup, which he fixed with the Granada stuff. Guess I'll put it in and see what happens. Worse case I have to swap knuckles and I do have Granada knuckles also.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is also the result when Granada spindles are used on 55 - 57's as well. It works, but looks odd from the stern unless different wheels are used to compensate.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
This is also the result when Granada spindles are used on 55 - 57's as well. It works, but looks odd from the stern unless different wheels are used to compensate.
You mean when you use the 77 stuff, as the Granada knuckle should be farther inboard? Unless you mean that is what looks weird due to being farther inboard?
Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Super-Experienced

The Granada set up puts the (same) wheel about 1" out further from the center of the car. Looks odd because the front wheels and rear wheels do not follow in the same track going down the road.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
The Granada set up puts the (same) wheel about 1" out further from the center of the car. Looks odd because the front wheels and rear wheels do not follow in the same track going down the road.
So the 77 T-bird stuff must push the track out even
further, unless the rotor (wheel mount surface)
is farther inboard.

Well I dug out the Granada parts and set them
next to the 77 bird stuff.

Bottom line is T-bird stuff is about an inch farther
inboard, ball joints holes vs WMS (over the
Granada stuff). The T-bird stuff also has the
upper ball joint hole about 1/4 inch farther
inboard (vs lower) than the Granada setup,
which could cause to much pos camber like
DKheld got. Tie rod hole is also about 3/4
inch farther inboard also.

Overall, I think I could fix track issues, if
any, with wheel backspacing. I'll have
to check that further as I want to use 14"
wheels, so they probably need less
backspacing to clear calipers (vs stock
wheels anyway).

My mom had a 77 Granada (hence where the parts
probably came from, since my dad found them
in his basement). My brother dropped a 302 in
it after he got it, and tooled it around for a
while. I don't remember the brakes being all
that great on it, and it was only 3200ish lbs.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Overall, I think I could fix track issues, if
any, with wheel backspacing.
Yes that will work.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Yep - that's my pic of the comparison.

I had no idea what Granada spindles looked like at the time as was told that's what these were. Of course I was also told they would bolt right on (which they did) but after removing all the shims from the top A-Arm I could see there was no way to set the camber correctly. The top of the tire stuck waaay out and the bottom arm is not adjustable.

Bet the track could be fixed using those spindles - maybe use a different upper A-Arm (Galaxie?) or have one made but I was looking for a bolt in type system and didn't want to go down that road. Plus - it was about 12 years ago and there was very little info. Even fewer folks that had an operating conversion. In fact the ONE guy that said he had a disc system on his car never replied after I asked for some pic's so I could just follow what he did.

I sold those spindles to a guy with a Galaxie so I bet the A-Arms are different enough that they will work on the Galaxie - just a guess though.

Here's a comparison pic of the drivers side of the car with a standard spindle and the pass side with the 77 Tbird spindle plus all the alignment shims at the top A-Arm removed.

I haven't had any problems with my Granada setup other than alignment. Got lucky and had a shop that would work with me - he would set it - let me drive it a week or two to see how it felt - then go back and tell him how it felt and he would see if he could adjust to make it better. Unfortunately the shop went out of business before I could go back for the last time - he was going to print out the final settings for me.

Stopping power is fine - even on mountain roads and I only have the small original type Bendix booster with a Lincoln front to accept the modern style master cyl.

I did find it necessary to use a banjo style brake line because the Granada line was too short and looked like it would hit the upper spring mount at a full turn. Took me a while to find the right thread banjo bolt - no idea what the part number is. I found it by searching for the right length, diameter and thread pitch.

You also need to have the Granada spindles machined to fit the lower Tbird ball joint correctly. Basically a new taper.

Although a great set-up and it has been very reliable as well as easy to get parts if needed - by the time you get the alignment set - it would probably cost about the same as using the Squarebird brackets that were not available 12 years ago. Unless of course you can set the alignment yourself.

Hope to have my car to an alignment shop one day to get the settings t post but just don't have the time right now and likely won't take it out again until a good rain washes most of the winter salt off the roads.

Good luck on your conversion - you'll love the discs.

Eric
Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Yep - that's my pic of the comparison.

I had no idea what Granada spindles looked like at the time as was told that's what these were. Of course I was also told they would bolt right on (which they did) but after removing all the shims from the top A-Arm I could see there was no way to set the camber correctly. The top of the tire stuck waaay out and the bottom arm is not adjustable.

Eric
I'm confused, you had problems with camber on the
Granada setup also??

What is strange is the parts I'm calling "77 T-bird" parts,
(not sure what they really are, but they look like your
77 T-bird parts) came on my 60 parts car. Not sure
how that was aligned, but it was fine before I pulled
them off that car. I will probably attempt to use them
just for that reason alone.

As for alignment, I recently bought my own used Hunter
4 wheel alignment system. I already had a 4 post lift,
and I had the alignment system calibrated by my local