This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:20 PM

Johnny is on a distinguished road
Default Need more fuel

Hello
Wondering if anyone can describe how I should adjust the carburetor so that it gets more fuel. Year 1966 390. The original carburetor.

Greetings
Johnny

www.thunderbird66.se

Old 07-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

There are two idle mixture screws at the bottom front of the carburetor. If you turn them counter clockwise you will increase the fuel mixture. Clockwise will lessen the fuel and make it run leaner. It helps to use a vacuum gauge to set the fuel/air mixture.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 AM

Default Thank you

Thanks
I will test this. The reason is that it is difficult to start, but then goes really well when it is hot. One expert said it was too dry. A test shows that it emits carbon dioxide 0.0. The tester was surprised when these cars usually have 4.5!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

If it is hard to start then it is a problem with your choke, not the idle mixture. Make sure that you have a working choke, everything is clean and operating freely, then use the method in your repair manual to adjust it.

When cold, the choke plate should be almost completely closed. A bi-metal spring inside the round black housing on the passenger side of the carburetor gets warmed up by heated air (from a small chamber on the exhaust manifold) and by a heater hose clamped to the side. When the spring gets hot it rotates the choke plate fully open. Mechanisms in the throttle assembly regulate high idle with a stepped cam during the warm-up period.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Choke plate was open all the time

Yes, that's right it's open all the time. There is no tube connected and the socket on the manifold is broken. I am attaching a hose and adjusts the cap. But the problem persists with a very low carbon dioxide. Can it be harmful to the valves?

(I use Google translate so all may not be intelligible?)

Johnny

Old 07-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Banned

If the exhaust manifold chamber can't be accessed then plug the ports going to the choke spring so you are not drawing in cold air. For summer driving you can probably get away with the heater hose alone.

Whatever you do, don't spend a lot of money on the old carburetor. The metal degrades with today's alcohol blended fuel, forming white deposits that clog the passages. Once this starts to happen you'll have to replace it with something more modern. And a modern carburetor will have an electric choke.

The basic chemical equation for perfect combustion is HC + O2 = CO2 + H2O, where HC is hydrocarbon, which in this case is gasoline. Perhaps your tester meant CO, not CO2. CO is from incomplete combustion, so low numbers are good.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:14 PM

Thanks
Your proposal sounds good. What carburetor do you think will be good?
Thank you for your commitment to my problem.

Johnny

Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Steve is correct. The original carburetors don't perform well with today's fuels. I recommend the Edelbrock 1406. It has an electric choke so you don't have to worry about the tube to the manifold.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 07-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

I'll defer to John for the carburetor recommendation. From all I've heard his is a good choice. I went with electronic fuel injection for my car, parts alone including a new fuel system were just shy of $3000. But I park my car in a basement garage so low emissions both during start-up and parked are a big issue for me.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Need more fuel

Many of us on here are running the Edelbrock 1406 carb with electric choke, myself included. It is an excellent carb!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411