This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 PM

papa john is on a distinguished road
Default 62 TBIRD shift indicator adjustment

this is my first time on here hope i get it right. to start my car i have to lift up on the gearshift push it into park and then it starts then when i put it into gear the alignment in every position on the selector is out of sync the p, r, n, d,line up as every one is lined up with the selector but half way to the next gear R shows up almost in N and so on down the line, any help in adjusting would help thanks PAPA JOHN
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you need a new detent plate, shift lever or both. Here's the link to the article in the Technical Resource Library on how to replace it and adjust it so the dial lines up correctly. You can get the parts from any of the Thunderbird vendors.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...eplacement.pdf

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Hey Papa, please use punctuation.

The neutral safety switch is also out of adjustment. It's common for it to get out of adjustment as it is held in place through slotted holes and self-threading screws through the steering column outer housing. The screws can loosen over time, and if over-tightened, strip the threads in the column metal.

This is such a common problem with Fords of his era. Once I went to start my friend's 65 Galaxie that she hadn't been able to start for weeks. In park, I turned the key, and nothing happened. Instinctively I reached over the top of the column with my left arm and pulled up on the shifter lever, and turned the key with my right, and the car started right up. My friend was incredulous, jumping up and down, asking me how the heck I did that. I had to think back through before I could explain.

Once you get yours adjusted and the mounting screws tight, use a large worm type hose clamp to clamp it tightly into place, and it will maintain its position.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

papa john, welcome to Squarebirds.org. I read your post and understood every part of it so don't listen to the 'English Gestapo', (Yadkin). His English isn't the best, either.

I hope to see you post more questions. If the answers are not clear, ask again. We have a lot of good experienced mechanics that are eager to help. These old Ford cars are nothing like modern cars. Most modern mechanics won't touch them unless the car has a computer on board.

I'm in Detroit which is one mile from Windsor, ON. I envy you guys for knowing French AND English. Truth is, when my father's grandfather came over here from Wales, he spoke English but made his mark with an 'X'. Back in the old country, schooling simply meant more time away from earning desperately needed money for the family. When they landed in the coal mines of Pennsylvania, the New World story was the same as the Old World. Fill four cars. Each of them holds 4-tons. That's 16-tons, every day. No punctuation necessary. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-19-2016, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Hey Papa, please use punctuation.

The neutral safety switch is also out of adjustment. It's common for it to get out of adjustment as it is held in place through slotted holes and self-threading screws through the steering column outer housing. The screws can loosen over time, and if over-tightened, strip the threads in the column metal.

This is such a common problem with Fords of his era. Once I went to start my friend's 65 Galaxie that she hadn't been able to start for weeks. In park, I turned the key, and nothing happened. Instinctively I reached over the top of the column with my left arm and pulled up on the shifter lever, and turned the key with my right, and the car started right up. My friend was incredulous, jumping up and down, asking me how the heck I did that. I had to think back through before I could explain.

Once you get yours adjusted and the mounting screws tight, use a large worm type hose clamp to clamp it tightly into place, and it will maintain its position.
Yadkin before you get all high and mighty you should learn to spell. I thank you for the info but im to old at 68 to listen to your B.S I DONT NEED IT
Old 05-19-2016, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
papa john, welcome to Squarebirds.org. I read your post and understood every part of it so don't listen to the 'English Gestapo', (Yadkin). His English isn't the best, either.

I hope to see you post more questions. If the answers are not clear, ask again. We have a lot of good experienced mechanics that are eager to help. These old Ford cars are nothing like modern cars. Most modern mechanics won't touch them unless the car has a computer on board.

I'm in Detroit which is one mile from Windsor, ON. I envy you guys for knowing French AND English. Truth is, when my father's grandfather came over here from Wales, he spoke English but made his mark with an 'X'. Back in the old country, schooling simply meant more time away from earning desperately needed money for the family. When they landed in the coal mines of Pennsylvania, the New World story was the same as the Old World. Fill four cars. Each of them holds 4-tons. That's 16-tons, every day. No punctuation necessary. - Dave
THANKS FOR YOUR INFO PAPA JOHN
Old 05-20-2016, 02:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa john View Post
Yadkin before you get all high and mighty you should learn to spell. I thank you for the info but im to old at 68 to listen to your B.S I DONT NEED IT
Calm down Mr. Irony.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
'English Gestapo', (Yadkin). His English isn't the best, either.
Welcome to ignore.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Is it just out of adjustment or is shifter move back and forth between "indicated" gears without it feeling like the trans shifter to a different gear (in other words, does it feel loose)?