This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Experienced

jhuebner is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering/ wipers don't work

Was going over the car getting ready to register it this week, found the power steering not to be working, I have the car on stands steering is easier with car off then running also found that the wipers will work ( with lever in the ON position ) as I move the steering wheel left right, disconnected hose coming from power steering pump going to fire wall fluid came out from the connection also loosen hard line from power steering pump had fluid any thoughts ideas with this.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

The pump, steering box and wipers are all on the same hydraulic circuit. The pump pressurizes the fluid, and the fluid goes through a high pressure hose to the steering box. A second high pressure hose takes the fluid next to the wiper motor through the fire wall, (under the cowl panel). A low pressure hose then returns the fluid to the pump.

Both high pressure hoses have screw-on fittings, while the low pressure hose has barbed fittings with hose clamps.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Were the steering and wipers working before and now they're not or are you just trying to get them to work. My first thought would be to put everything back together, fill with fluid, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times to get all the air out. The more times you do it the easier it should become to steer. If it still doesn't work then you could have a bad power steering pump or something in the steering gear itself. Even if the wipers don't work the fluid just goes in and comes back out so your steering should still work.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Experienced

Steering and wipers were both working before, the pump is less than a year old, turned the steering lock to lock several times nothing changed.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Check all connections and fluid level. Run the engine, turn the wheel lock-to-lock as suggested and recheck the fluid level.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Experienced

Will be able tomorrow afternoon......it's now too late over here in Germany, thanks for the suggestion guys.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If you see the fluid level going down and you don't see any obvious leaks from the pump or lines you may have to take the cowl off and check the wiper motor. It may be leaking.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-05-2016, 01:54 AM
Experienced

fluid level remained full overnight, tried once again to bleed system no change, noticed when I rev the motor up to around 1200-1500 rpm the wipers would work slowly, decided to drain fluid went ahead and changed both lines coming off the power steering pump I had new ones on hand, refilled and turned wheels lock to lock several times could hear the fluid being slushed around, waited for fluid to settle, added some fluid and once again turned steering lock to lock could hear the fluid being slushed around however not as much was not able to bleed system with the car running......was to late in the evening (midnight ).
Old 04-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Apprentice

HighwayThunder is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering/Wiper hose connections

Just in case, here's a diagram of the connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiperMotor.jpg (46.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Experienced

Thanks, for the clear schematic I have the lines connected correctly, just tried with the car running, still no wipers only when turning the steering wheel, had fluid leaking out from the filler cap, I'm not to concerned about the power steering working just yet, but I need the wipers to work for inspection. I register the car Thursday, will have more time tomorrow to mess with it plus I need more fluid.