This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 AM
Experienced

Ford351c594 is on a distinguished road
Default You guys are awesome

So I had the "privilege" of joining another forum about F150 to try to get some research done on my uncles 1986 F150 5.0 EFI that he bought new and garage keeps. The thing is just amazing for being a 30 year old daily driver. I needed some help with early Ford fuel injection as I simply didn't remember the ins and outs of it.

So long story short is after asking for help, I was be basically told I was an idiot and and didn't know what I was doing. On two separate posts. I was told I should get my facts straight before I post. Now I am asking for help, so if I knew everything I would be posting the questions.

After reading that I thought to myself wow, that would never happen over a squarebirds, I pretty much have seen a few idiots wander through here and still they are helped way better than I was on the other Forum.

So thanks for the help guys and great job. Happy to be a member here!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:52 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Ryan, you're always welcome here. As far as being an idiot, well, you're in good company because I don't know anyone who knows it all.

BTW, we also 'do' injectors. What is your question? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Message boards are only as good as the moderators who police them. This site is probably the best one I've seen to date.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

This is a great forum and the members are very respectful of others.

Thanks to all, that work hard to keep this site Great!

Keith

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 03-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default You guys are awesome

Thank you for these comments. They are very much appreciated... To honor the memory of our founder, Alexander Sosiak, we have strived to keep this Forum operating as he established it, following his Rules Of Conduct. I can tell you this. Julie, his widow, and Marianne, his sister, are very pleased with the way we have continued to honor his memory by expanding and maintaining his Forum in the manner he would have greatly approved of. Marianne ~ My59Tbird stepped in shortly after his passing and continued handling the Detent Plate program for us. From time to time, as she has time from raising her family, you will see her logged onto the Forum. Should you have any questions for her regarding detent plates, or availability, you can click on the Members List, go to the letter M, then to the last page of M's, and you will find her user id listed there. Clicking on it, you can send her an email or a PM. I suggest the former, because you are more likely to get in contact with her quicker that way.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-04-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Experienced

sorry dave. My uncles truck has been around the block. Several mechanics have replaced endless parts. The emissions light is on and it runs like poo. Here is the symptoms.

starts and kills 2x's in the morning, back fires during acceleration and hesitates. for the first 5mphs then runs fine, starts hot very poorly.

actually I will copy and past my original post from the other forum. LOL I think I was pretty respectful. .

here it is

Good evening gentlemen, I am new here but a user of several other forums so I know new posts can be a pain from a first time poster, so sorry in advance.

So here we go. My uncle had a 1986 F150 EFI. He bought it new and it is garage kept to this day. I am very knowledgeable fellow about new Fords, but this old one is kicking my but.

First I have codes 12, 41, 25 and an emissions light is on.

Second the truck runs like poop and is backfiring on acceleration.

The list of parts he has changed is out of the box. It has a new distributor assembly, HP pump, tank switcher and new fuel tanks, new egr valve, position sensor, and evp solenoids. ( only part replaced by me so far ) and it did fix the egr code. It also has new IAC, TP and O2, which complicates the issues of some of the above codes.

The fuel pressure is at 39 running, but I have noticed if it sits over night I have to cycle the key twice to get it to come up to 35ish. It starts and kills twice every morning on cold start then runs. ok-ish

I have also sprayed down the intake to check for vacuum leaks. no difference.

once the truck has accelerated past 10 mph it runs fine. If just hates the acceleration from a stop.

The only modification is crane energizer cam during a rebuild about 2 years ago.

The timing is set 10 with the spout disconnected. ( not sure if should be different with the cam, so I just set it to factory setting)

So question is any ideas? I was going to go buy a new IAC to see if it clears code 12 and possibly a 20buck O2 again so I can do it myself to see if it effects the lean code. The knock sensor I am pretty sure will have to be a junkyard dog item as they are not available any where.

Thanks in advance and I will be back shortly.

Ryan
Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Experienced

sorry. I was nailed for not posting the code definition and I did it again.

code 12 can't control idle at high speed/RPM
code 41 HO2S lean
code 25 Knock sensor not detected

the end result is this. This is a 1986 EFI 5.0 truck. I believe the super early EFI was very sensitive to exhaust leaks. This truck has one. I am thinking this is my main issue with its driveablity. We are ordering a set of headers for it.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Those are the early years of Ford EFI. I had an '85 TBird 5.0 that was a 2 barrel throttle body. As I recall in '86 they went to a multi-point, and yours is probably the same.

I'm also a member of the allfordmustangs forum and they have a specific section for the 5.0L mustangs. You can probably find the information you need there. Here's the link: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/
Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Experienced

correct it is the first version of the mpi injection. lots of one year part on the 86 F150.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford351c594 View Post
...once the truck has accelerated past 10 mph it runs fine. If just hates the acceleration from a stop.

The only modification is crane energizer cam during a rebuild about 2 years ago...
What duration cam did you buy, and why?

Most people want a little more out of their engine so they buy a 'street cam'. That's all well and good if you understand the consequences involved. They run better at higher rpm's than at idle because of the overlap for scavenging. The cam timing may also be retarded for better high end torque and performance.

As far as your sensors go, the oxygen sensor is not in the picture and it won't work until the temp is at 'normal'. During this time your EEC runs a 'canned program' for cold starts. All your sensors can be checked with a multimeter, including your injector inputs, idle air control, etc. There is no reason your fuel pressure should drop during idle.

If you have cylinders not firing, a IR gun will tell you quickly. Without actually seeing the engine, it's difficult for me to troubleshoot from this chair in Royal Oak, Michigan. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca