This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Experienced

stubbie is on a distinguished road
Default Idler Arm Pulley

Bought an Idler Arm Pulley for my 64 Tbird and attempted to fit it today. It appears to be out of alignment. Is it possible to add a shim to the adjuster side to straighten it up or is there a problem with the main bracket. Thanks
Old 12-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It looks to me like there's a problem with the main bracket. That should be straight up and down and not cocked as it appears.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

The steel bracket is bent. Good news is you can heat it red and bend it right (possibly). Let it cool in air, don't quench it in water.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Experienced

My initial thought was that the bracket was bent. I also see that there is an oval shape plate missing from the back of it. Does one of those bolts also hold the waterpump on?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Experienced

Don't know if you can tell if it's bent from this pic.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:28 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong but, compare your old idle arm pulley to your old one. my guess it's the wrong pulley. The bracket is as solid as, & it doesn't appear to be bent.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

He has the correct pulley. My guess is that the main bracket is installed incorrectly. Either it has a spacer that it shouldn't have or it's in the wrong place. The other possibility is that you have the wrong water pump and the mounting sticks out too far.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road

John, I'm assuming that all that had to be replaced was the pulley. If no adjustments were made other than taking one pulley out & replacing with the new one, it should fit perfectly. On the other hand like you mentioned, If the bracket had been taken out & not replaced properly there'd be a problem.

Chris....From OZ.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Experienced

I didn't have an Idler Pulley when I got this car. I just bought one for a 64 from The Birds Nest and it just arrived last week. This motor had a sticker on it that said it was replaced in 1974 or 77 I can't remember which. Would that explain perhaps the different setup? I'll see if I can get a part number from the water pump. The only parts I can see that are missing are, Spacer C4MA10A370A and Brace C4SA2888A

Last edited by stubbie : 12-19-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

It's not bent. You simply don't have it mounted w/correct spacers and bolts. Your top mounting is not attached at all.

Look at the Ford Illustration. The purpose of this pulley is to keep the belt OFF the water pump. Yes there are two sheaves on the water pump and two on the damper pulleys but if you put two belts on both, one belt will want to go faster than the other which causes heat, squeal and premature belt failure. The solution is to run with only ONE belt riding on both pulleys. Then, let the empty pulleys drive other devices (like p/s pump and A/C compressor).

I hope I explained this well enough to help you. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca