This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:58 PM

Ryan.Kauz is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for 15" steelies

I'm having a heck of a time sourcing some 15" steelies to mount hubcaps on locally.

Do any of you fine folks have a resource that is popular among the Squarebird community where I could get a set of rims that will actually fit with the skirts on?

Note: my '63 has front discs from a '65 and i'm going to be doing more of a restomod than a restoration, hence needing to bump up to 15" and hubcaps.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I went with 15" steel wheels on my 64 and the shirts did not fit. Had to cut them.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:30 AM
Experienced

Wudro is on a distinguished road

Not sure on the '63 but have you checked Summit?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz View Post
I'm having a heck of a time sourcing some 15" steelies to mount hubcaps on locally.

Do any of you fine folks have a resource that is popular among the Squarebird community where I could get a set of rims that will actually fit with the skirts on?

Note: my '63 has front discs from a '65 and i'm going to be doing more of a restomod than a restoration, hence needing to bump up to 15" and hubcaps.
I have two I ran on my 65 for a day sitting in boxes. They barely hit with the skirts on with the 255x60-15 I was running in back. They are chrome baby moons size 15x8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing. I ended up going with another set with 5.25 backspacing. I had special ordered the wide whites and had to make them fit. I would think 245 would have fit.

If you are running 65 discs up front you won't find anything aftermarket to clear the caliper in a steel wheel. At least I never found one a few years back. I ended up running a set of 15x7 with 5.25 backspacing in the front with a 1.25 spacer.

You can order the rims with custom backspacing from Unique, at least that is where I got the ones I had on the car, and the two I have sitting in boxes. They are the 03 series. http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg6.html

Tires sizes I ran were 245x60-15 up front and 255x60-15 rear. I don't know how that all will compare with your Bullet Bird. The rims ran me about $100 each with the custom backspacing.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
I have two I ran on my 65 for a day sitting in boxes. They barely hit with the skirts on with the 255x60-15 I was running in back. They are chrome baby moons size 15x8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing. I ended up going with another set with 5.25 backspacing. I had special ordered the wide whites and had to make them fit. I would think 245 would have fit.

If you are running 65 discs up front you won't find anything aftermarket to clear the caliper in a steel wheel. At least I never found one a few years back. I ended up running a set of 15x7 with 5.25 backspacing in the front with a 1.25 spacer.

You can order the rims with custom backspacing from Unique, at least that is where I got the ones I had on the car, and the two I have sitting in boxes. They are the 03 series. http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg6.html

Tires sizes I ran were 245x60-15 up front and 255x60-15 rear. I don't know how that all will compare with your Bullet Bird. The rims ran me about $100 each with the custom backspacing.

Thanks for the information! I have been unsure of the backspacing until now.

Can you post a picture up with your wide whites on the car? Bet it looks fantastic!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz View Post
Thanks for the information! I have been unsure of the backspacing until now.

Can you post a picture up with your wide whites on the car? Bet it looks fantastic!
If you have any interest in the two rear wheels I have, I am willing to sell them. I have a client that rolls his semi between me and Wa weekly, so I imagine we could transport stuff without any shipping costs. I know he picked up and brought me back some old bias ply wide whites last year form Seattle.

Here is a link to my photobucket account, lots of photos there. http://s103.photobucket.com/user/jus...Bird%20Special

Here are a couple thumbnails for you, click on them, and you should see the larger photo.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
If you have any interest in the two rear wheels I have, I am willing to sell them. I have a client that rolls his semi between me and Wa weekly, so I imagine we could transport stuff without any shipping costs. I know he picked up and brought me back some old bias ply wide whites last year form Seattle.

Here is a link to my photobucket account, lots of photos there. http://s103.photobucket.com/user/jus...Bird%20Special

Here are a couple thumbnails for you, click on them, and you should see the larger photo.

Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry for a slow response, health has been an issue lately.

The local tire shop says that 215/65/15 are the widest that can go in the rear with the skirts on, but that must be due to their rims being only 15x6" with a -6 offset, which doesn't compare to your custom 5.5" backspacing.

So now i'm more confused than ever on these **** wheels! Modern cars use offset, yet classics use backspacing in inches, which is an apples to oranges comparison.