This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road
Default CA58TBIRD Garage project

First the 150 ft oak came down last fall with a little help from a crane lift and a tree climber. Then over the winter a friend cleaned up and took 4+ cords of oak firewood away. Next the 40” diameter stump had to be removed, the hill removed and the new slab location graded. A huge back hoe and a bobcat did that work. I have now poured a 22 foot long footing and built a 5 course retaining wall for the hill which will be the side wall of the garage. Next I’ll dig the other two footing trenches, put down 2” extruded poly foam insulation, PEX infloor heat tube and re-mesh, as well as set the rebar into the footing trenches. I would like to pour the slab the 1st Saturday in Sept. The existing 14x24 garage will be added onto with a new 22x22 structure. The existing garage was at a 45 degree angle to the lot line. Last Fall I poured a new slab extension for it, picked the garage up with jack stands on a tandem axle trailer, then drove the garage out the driveway, backed her up and set her on the new slab. Straightening out the existing garage then allowed me to build this new addition perpendicular to the existing garage and parallel to the back of my house. Here’s a few progress pics below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1.jpg (349.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg #4.jpg (383.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg #2B.JPG (55.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg #3B.JPG (59.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg #5B.JPG (42.4 KB, 93 views)
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 08-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Sure wish I had installed in floor heat in my garage

Coming along nicely Jed - thanks for the picture updates. That would have been fun to watch that garage move (since all went well).

1st Saturday in Sept is weekend after next !!!! (you just might beat the snow)

Eric
Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Super-Experienced

Default Update on the garage construction;

Last Saturday poured the slab and now laying two course of block on one side. Next week the walls get framed and the trusses hung. Think maybe I am 3 weeks from shingling and hanging the 16 ft garage door I bought nearly new off craigslist. I gave notice on one of my rental storage garages for the end of October and will look forward to moving my ’58 Tbird out of storage into my own new garage. A few progress pics below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRUCK.jpg (475.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg PREP.jpg (605.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg SMOOTH.jpg (499.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 01:22 AM
Super-Experienced

Default October update

Worked full mostly full time during the month of September on my garage construction project. Hanging the new garage door was quite a project. The instruction manual said "plan on 9 hours" and it took about 9 hours. Windows, Tyvek and shingles will go on this weekend or sometime next week. Then I'll take a break for a little bit. Either this winter or early next spring I'll do interior electric, heat, insulation and the exterior siding. My main objective in the next week or so is to move my 58 Bird into its new home. This past weekend I drove the 48 Dodge Panel van into its new home. Picture below as she stands right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-6-15.jpg (536.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:19 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Beautiful work, Jed. Coming along nicely...
If you need suggestions on your electrical, let me know. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default CA58TBIRD Garage project

Wow, Jed! That is a huge difference from the previous photos! You have really made some great progress! Congratulations!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

That looks great. Heated floor?

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 10-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Wow, heated floor in a garage. Talk about luxury!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Jed a tremendous job and yes soon to be the new home for your 58. Make sure the dog house has similar siding and shingles as the " main house " Now that would just be cool
58HT #33317
Old 10-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Super-Experienced

I would have never thought of siding the doghouse with the same siding. Gee I could use all the little end scraps to do the doghouse. Great idea Dan! yes the floor has PEX tubing in it for heat, but most likely won't get that going this winter yet as I'd have to buy the heater, manifold and pump to get it going. This winter I'll concentrate on siding, insulation and electric wiring. Today had the framing inspection and all passed and was signed off on. So now I can go ahead with covering everything. Today put the windows in and built a temp service door. This weekend I'll get up on the roof and start shooting shingle nails.