This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:35 PM

askiles is on a distinguished road
Default '61 T Bird Custom 2 1/2" Flowmaster Exhaust

Hey guys! Just wanted to post a few pics of the awesome custom exhaust I just had made for me on the '61 T Bird. I had them bend me up some 2 1/2" tubing into a pair of Flowmaster Super 44's dumped right before the axle. Anyways, enjoy!!

Last edited by askiles : 06-12-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Tried to fix your pix...
Old 06-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Question

Hi Andy, I must admit its location is different & looks neat.
But what's going to happen to the exhaust vapours especially when stationary & with the windows down?

Chris....From OZ.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I like his 'H' pipe. The guy did a nice job. I would go for another mounting hanger on each side if it were my car. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 PM

I was impressed with his work. The exhaust is super solid, you can grab it and hang from it. I think another hanger would be over kill. Sure it wouldn't hurt, but is not necessary.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:41 AM
Slow Typist

Let me be more specific. My Mustang has hangers on the 'H' pipe, then downstream at the Flowmasters. Believe it or not, your 2-" exhaust system is heavy and five years from now it will be quite different. Been there. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-13-2015, 03:30 AM

bird 60, it was a concern of mine, but hasn't at all been a problem. It must exit far enough back that it is not noticeable in the passenger compartment.

simply, my 2012 Mustang doesn't have hangers until the mufflers behind the axle. So all the way from the manifolds, past the x-pipe, over the axle, then mufflers, with 2 hangers there. Solid. ...and at this point it is all 3" exhaust. The exhaust hangers are neoprene not rubber, so I don't imagine over time they will sag more than they do now.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Slow Typist

Here is a standard bolt-on replacement for my 2-" system:
<--"from the Cats back."

Here is my "H" pipe (that bolts on between my headers and exhaust pipe):
<--notice serious hangers. That's the way Ford did them and that's the way aftermarket companies follow, for a total of six hangers.

Check out how Magnaflow does their Mustang turndowns:
Again, this is for the same Mustang. Notice that they only weld on the ends of the mufflers. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Yeah the upper exhaust is from the SN95 body style...they had 6 cats on some of those early ones as well. **** The lower is how my 2012 is as well. They are only after the axle, at the muffler. The T Bird's exhaust doesn't go that far. If I went over the axles I would have 1 more set of hangers after the axle for that pipe for sure.