This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Apprentice

HD1960 is on a distinguished road
Default 352 to 390

Ok, I am putting in a 390 that was from a 73-76 ford f series truck. I know that going to the newer model starter will require me to change the flywheel, but is there anything else to be wary of when matching the newer engine to the cruise o matic? he did change the oil filter alignment to work for a car as opposed to the truck, and it is a front sump pan. I just want to get as much as possible worked out before I switch it all. Thanks, and if there is more information needed, let me know. Pretty novice, so am a bit nervous about screwing simple things up by not knowing they are an issue ahead of time.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You shouldn't have any problem joining the block to the transmission. The block is basically identical to the 352. Going to the newer flexplate and starter is a wise move. Hopefully you got the alternator also.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Yes, getting a new alternator

was the reason for some other changes. Still figuring out which bracket and pulleys to use since this was a later model engine.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD1960 View Post
was the reason for some other changes. Still figuring out which bracket and pulleys to use since this was a later model engine.
It's important to match the water pump with the correct pulley. Squarebirds used the long shaft pump with the longer pulley. The later 390's used the shorter shaft pump with the narrower pulley. That 390 probably used the high mount alternator brackets. I think either pump/pulley combo will line up.

John

Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Apprentice

Default Intake?

I know the intake is a good bit different, did they no longer run coolant through the intake in the 70's 390's?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM

Coolant is always run through the intake. They no longer ran the coolant through the carburetor base after about '65. There's has always been a coolant port in front of the carburetor on FE intakes. If you have something different I'd like to see it.

John

Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Apprentice

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Coolant is always run through the intake. They no longer ran the coolant through the carburetor base after about '65. There's has always been a coolant port in front of the carburetor on FE intakes. If you have something different I'd like to see it.

John
Was thinking of the base. Just looking at the two side by side and trying to figure out what hoses will end up where on the new one and looking pretty different on the intakes. As stated, I am pretty new at this stuff, and want to make sure I am not screwing it up from the get go.....
Old 03-23-2015, 12:01 PM

It's pretty straightforward; the upper hose from the heater core goes to the water pump, the lower hose goes to the intake manifold.

John