X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveSouthampton
    Apprentice
    • Nov 19 2013

Getting paint off the interior

Molly has blue paint flecks over some of her interior.

Its mainly on the drivers door card and a bit on the drivers seat. I have invoices for the seats being recovered a long time ago and they're not leather as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may shift it without hurting the vinyl ?

Thanks again
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

I wouldn't get too aggressive and start with mild products first. I would start with WD-40 as that has removed a lot of stuff for me with out hurting any plastics. Mineral spirits works often without hurting anything too. Believe it or not, hair spray or alcohol works too. You must try any product in an area that is hidden because often harsh products like lacquer thinner will dissolve the vinyl dye or even the vinyl itself. You can put whatever you are going to use on a rag and try to wipe the paint splatter off the metal trim in the picture, then you know what dissolves the paint and just have to determine if its safe for your dyed vinyl.

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

I would start with water. You might be lucky.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

VERY carefully wipe some brake fluid onto those paint spots and leave it for 4 or so and then wipe off with a damp rag, water dissolves the brake fluid. Remember, brake fluid is not a friend of ANY paint...
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Since you have some paint on the stainless trim I would start with that first. Go with the safest which is soap and water and then move up to more harsher solutions. If acetone or lacquer thinner is the only thing that works I would be very careful using it on the vinyl.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by scumdog
            VERY carefully wipe some brake fluid onto those paint spots and leave it for 4 or so and then wipe off with a damp rag, water dissolves the brake fluid. Remember, brake fluid is not a friend of ANY paint...
            Oops!
            I need to edit my post, I meant 4 hours!

Brake fluid will not harm rubber, plastic, vinyl etc but it WILL eat paint over time.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Astrowing
              Experienced
              • Jul 22 2009

I agree with Anders. Water is the best solvent so start with it. Let it soak with wet towel for a while.
              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

I like the idea of using WD-40 to soften the paint. I have had very good luck with removing things using the WD. You could try and wet a paper towel with the WD and lay it on the paint covered areas and see if softens the paint so some mild soap and water might finish the job. Along the same lines, something like armour all might also work. I did have my dash pad on my pool table, which has a vinyl cover on it, and I kept spraying the dash pad with a vinyl treatment. I really didn't care that it got on the pool table cover. A day or 2 later I discovered that the treatment caused the vinyl cover to wrinkle. Go figure. Oh well, lessons learned. Just a caution about how long you leave it on the vinyl.
                Nyles

Comment

• DaveSouthampton
                  Apprentice
                  • Nov 19 2013

I had a WD40 like product handy so tried it on a bit of paint that was at the edge of the panel and it worked. Cant quite tell if its done anything to the vinyl as eyes and light not great, so going to get a 2nd opinion on it on Friday.

If it is ok then it looks like we could be on to a winner, so thanks very much Joe

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎