This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 AM

Rangoon is on a distinguished road
Default Headliner repair??

Hello All,

I cannot find any info on how to repair, or at least mask a quarter size hole above the passenger sun visor. the PO let mice get into the car. (It smelled pretty bad when we first purchased) The car is a red 63 hardtop with black interior and the headliner is white. Other than this mouse hole the interior is nearly flawless.

Whenever my wife puts down the visor we are both reminded of the smelly varmints. any clever way to hide such a small blemish short of total replacement??

Any past experiences would be much appreciated!

Dale
Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Finding a matching fabric is the hard part. A shop that does auto upholstery probably has a scrap on the shelf. After that its just a sewing job.

If mice got in they likely left deposits in the insulation above the headliner. It is probably a wise investment to replace the whole thing.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I agree with Yadkin. If you remove the headliner the jute padding will most likely be loaded with mouse droppings. If you don't want to take it down you may be able to use a hair dryer to heat it enough where it will stretch and you can stitch the hole closed. You can also remove the front header piece, then remove the staples that hold the headliner in the front and sew the hole closed and then reattach the headliner with new staples.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 AM

Rangoon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean about the leavings of mice. However, there is not a trace of odor left now- so I am still reluctant to replace the whole thing. I could not figure out how to do a nice patch from the outside, but if we take it loose int he front from behind the trim, I may be able to do the stitches from the back side.

All we have locally is one furniture upholsterer, so a scrap is nearly impossible. Any suggestions of a source or reputable restorer who would sell a scrap of 1963 headliner?

I have a small Ford oval patch off of a uniform that i may try to glue over the hole. It is only visible when the visor is down. Thanks again.