X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fireball
    Apprentice
    • Nov 17 2012

Carb recommendation?

What carb do you recommend on top of stock 430 MEL? 600 cfm or more, vacuum secondaries or mechanical, Holley or Edelbrock/Carter, manual or electric choke?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I recommend the Edelbrock 1406. I've used Holley's before and the Edelbrock has better performance and is easier to work on in my opinion. It has an electric choke.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Fireball
      Apprentice
      • Nov 17 2012

Thanks John, was there any major tinkering with distributor vacuum, throttle linkage or fuel line fittings?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Not really. I had to adjust the accelerator rod a few turns. Other than that is was just a matter of connecting some rubber gas line from the original metal hose to the carburetor inlet and removing the metal vacuum advance line that was on the original Ford carburetor and using some rubber hose instead. There are two vacuum advance ports on the Edelbrock carburetor, a timed port and a full vacuum port. After doing a lot of reading on it I decided to use the full vacuum port which is the same as what the Ford carburetor had. I used the power window relay on the firewall for power to the choke.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Fireball
          Apprentice
          • Nov 17 2012

Thank you so much John, this makes it too easy for me.

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

I also vote for the Edelbrock/Carter AFB carb.

-Jon in TX
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• BDASTRK

Quick Fuel

I am not a fan of either the Holley stuff or the Ebock out of the box, Personally I dont care what carb MFG it is I would always have the carb built by a carb guru!

My choice would be Quick Fuel! I had my 850 DP Quick fuel built for my 482 build, and too me that is the only way to go! Spent a boat load of time brushing up on carbs again after only having or building injection cars for the last 20 + yrs!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎