This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Brass Window Rollers?

I have read several posts stating that the solid brass window rollers really improve the movement on the rear 1/4 windows. I am thinking about making some of the rollers, but am wondering if they are as critical to the door windows. I know the rear 1/4's have some strange movements to get them to go up and down properly, but the door windows are pretty much straight up and down. Does anyone have any experience with the nylon rollers being offered all over Ebay? Also, it looks like the car may take 12 rollers, but looking at the prints I could only find 10.

Nyles
Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Here's an OEM roller. It's all rusty and nasty but it's original:

Notice how it uses a spring loaded tapered washer (at the top) to 'pinch' the track.

Here's a breakdown of the parts:

Here's a nylon roller from Mac's:

Here's a brass roller using the spring parts from the OEM model.

Your windows use three sliding rollers on each scissors assembly. I think you can quickly determine by looking at the nylon model, that it cannot do the job that it should. Nylon rollers simply don't last. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 08-27-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Wasn't someone here on the forum making these brass rollers for sale?

I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong) they are identical to those used on Little Birds also.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

http://squarebirds.org/images_WindowRollers./

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-27-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Link Made Inoperative...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Martin Burs (60 T-Bird) said in a post recently, that he is still sailing at sea. He expects that he will be back home in about 9 months, as I recall from his post. He said he will make some sets up for us once he gets back home and settled in. Martin has not given us permission to use that link yet that Dakota Boy posted. That is why we have not put it in the TRL yet. It might be a moot point now that we know these metal window rollers are available through CASCO, thanks to Joe Johnston. There is no mention of these being made of brass. They are said to be just like the original metal rollers. It is my understanding from Dave ~ simplyconnected, that these same rollers were in use not only in Little Birds, but also in Squarebirds, Bulletbirds, Flairbird and also Full Sized Edsels/Fords/Lincolns/Mercurys/Trucks (as far as we know) for quite a lot of years.

Here is the link to the CASCO site for these window rollers that Dave sent me. There are 12 of them needed for a Squarebird. Probably the same for the 1961-1966 Tbirds.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000219a

Dave looked in the Ford Parts Manual and found this info for these window rollers. Ford Part No. BA 7023240-A (1953-1959) C0AB 6423240-B (1960-On)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-27-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Super-Experienced

Since they are the same parts as Little Birds use, CASCO has them in metal shown complete with spring, washer and clip for those who want/need them now.

Item # 23240M in their online catalog @ $8.50 ea.

(As a disclaimer my only interest with CASCO is being a customer)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Good find, Joe.
Tee-bird.com also sells window rollers but I cannot tell what they are made of. Maybe someone could call Bill or Ellis at (800) 423-3723:

http://www.tee-bird.com/catalog_prod...d.cfm?id=14272

The cost is unbelievably good at US$2.50/each. Here is their listing:

B23240A
Price: $2.50
Qty. per Car: (6) <--Remember, these are Babybirds w/no rear windows.

Description:
1955-57 Thunderbird: Roller, window regulator
1955-56 Ford: Roller, window regulator
1954 Ford: Roller, window regulator

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Super-Experienced

If they are made of metal I would have to guess @ $2.50 it would be just for the roller only - which is usually all we need. Good price for a pesky repair solution.

I had one on the driver's side lower track that was well worn and was able to swap it with another that doesn't seem to take much load and looked like new. Amazing what a bit of cleaning and fresh grease does to window parts and gearboxes!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM

I just talked with Ellis this morning at Tee-Bird. He said their window rollers are the plastic ones and come complete, not just the rollers. He did not know that CASCO was making original metal ones.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Window Rollers

I have just posted this link to the Technical Resource Library. You will find it in the Exterior section relating to Windows. Now we will have this information for posterity and easy access. Thanks, Joe Johnston, Dave Dare and others for the input.

"It's Hip To Be Square"