X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

Oil drip pan plug leaking

Own a 62 t-bird. Noticed the other day there was some spotting where the oil pan is. Felt around the pan plug and felt some wetness right around the plug.The plug came out somewhat easily. Looked at the threads and was was kind of worn. So went don't to Nappa bought another plug that came with a gasket. When screwing this one back in it started to grasp the inside threads but would not butt up to the outside of the pan. The problem the plug wont screw all the way in so it can be flush to the outside of the Pan. Need some help. Larry Just went to buy a couple of bushing and see if that will work
    Last edited by Larry Jones; July 25, 2013, 02:29 PM.
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

bushing

I went to Nappa they suggested to try two bushings He insisted that should work. Put about three and half quarts in it started it up and let it run several minutes So far no leakage.The other alternative would have been a self tappings plug a little larger than the 9/16 plug. He indicated you would need a lot of yumphff to twist it in. I didn't have a good angle to do that. The morale of this story never I mean never take it to a place like a Terrys tire town. I believe the mechanic cross some threads in the pan. Larry

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

My uncle drove to Detroit from his place in Chicago. Just before he left, he had his oil changed at the same place he always went to.

He parked his Lincoln in the drive and I noticed a couple drops of fresh oil. Oh, boy... did he get upset.

I went under the engine with tools and noticed that NONE of them worked. This is strange... no hex, but there is a deep dimple in the middle of this black smooth plug. When I stuck an allen wrench in the hole I noticed it was made of RUBBER! Some kid lost his oil plug and pushed this rubber stopper in. Uncle John was hoppin' mad.

I just happen to have an oil plug from a Buick oil pan in the garage. It screwed right in and none of his threads were damaged.

Imagine, he drove 5-1/2 hours and only lost about a quart of oil. Meanwhile, he was confident that his car had new oil and things were great. I don't know why I did, but it was a good thing I looked under the engine. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• flyinthermals
        Experienced
        • Apr 3 2013

I have been changing my own oil and filter in all my cars, even new under warranty cars, for about 25 years now. In my world, no one looks after my car better than I can. There are 10s of thousands of great, professional mechanics out their, but I have only been fortunate to know a few and they have also told me, if I can, change my own oil, do it. There are many reasons why they told me this, but what I will say is how good I sleep at night after working on my cars. I do the job right. Theres no hurry. I'm not on the clock: unless the wife calls me.
        sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Ian M Greer
          Experienced
          • Jul 29 2010

Flyinthermals , well said and I agree unless you have total confidence in your mechanic it really isn't a big deal to do your own oil change . And yes you always want to keep your better half happy. By the way are you thinking of going to Barrie Flee Market in September , maybe we can meet up , Ian M Greer (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH )

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

It's hard to find a good mechanic...

Originally posted by Ian M Greer
            Flyinthermals , well said and I agree unless you have total confidence in your mechanic it really isn't a big deal to do your own oil change . And yes you always want to keep your better half happy. By the way are you thinking of going to Barrie Flee Market in September , maybe we can meet up , Ian M Greer (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH )
            I'm lucky - my 'mechanic' runs his own business which amongst the mundane jobs it also handles the majority of 'petrol-head' type jobs in town, i.e. engine swaps, hot-ups, transmission rebuilds etc, he's a drag-racer and lover of all American cars - favouring the bow-tie brigade sadly but will dirty his hands on any V8.

Oh, after saying all that, I do all my oil/filter changes etc anyway!.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎