This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Apprentice

flyinthermals is on a distinguished road
Default Air Conditioner 62 Coupe

I have notice that the compressor (I think it's the compressor) for the air conditioner is slightly frosting up when I am driving around even though the air is not on. When I pop the hood it is perspiring and cold to the touch. Is something leaking or is this gremlin common to the these birds?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Apprentice

Default Air Conditioning Frosting Over

I'm closing in on the problem maybe. The solenoid that cycles the compressor may be faulty leaving the air conditioner on even when the heater is on. I don't hear it cycling on and off during driving. That could be do to the engine roaring. I'm not sure at this point. Does anyone else that has air notice the frosting and dripping from the compressor that I have been talking about?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Experienced

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your thermostat might be faulty, keeping the clutch on the compressor energized . Now if you have your fan switch turned off the suction (return line ) the large one, will frost up to the compressor which is a sign that your slugging liquid . This is not a good situation and can damage your compressor internally . Pull the wire connection at the clutch until you can get a qualified a/c tech look at it . Ian (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH )
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Apprentice

Default Ac Freeze

Hi Ian,

Thanks, I will look into that. Neither of the lines are frosted up, only the compressor itself. I took out the metal console last night and cleaned it. I hooked back up the fan cable and adjusted it to make sure it slides all the way to the left (off) position. I will try the car tonight to see if the air is still staying on. Behind the console is a door that is open when the air is on and closed when you switch the controls to heat or defrost. I'm not sure if the a/c shuts off at that point. With the engine running its loud and I cant tell if the compressor is still turning. I WILL POP THE HOOD AND LOOK AT IT TONIGHT.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Apprentice

Default Air Conditioning Frosting Over

Thanks again Ian,

I will try to locate the wire going to the clutch. There were several black wires going into the back of the compressor. I will try to find a diagram showing the parts of the a/c so I can find the clutch and disconnect the right wire. Electrical is my weakest link. I will try locate a a/c expert for these cars in the Toronto area. I took the car out tonight for a short drive and put the heat on to see if this would help disengage the a/c but when I popped the hood the compressor was still cold and sweating.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Apprentice

Default A/C Issues

Is there anyone with a/c that could explain how the a/c unit functions normally and if they have observed sweating ect....

Thank you
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Experienced

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road

Look for the wire coming directly off of the electromagnetic clutch directly behind the pulley of the compressor . Fallow that wire and you should find a plug in that if you separate will disengage the clutch stopping the compressor. Ian (Remember Not All Birds Fly South )
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Apprentice

Default a/c Frosting Up

Thank you for the info Ian. I read the servicing and testing of the a/c in chapter 10 of the manual. I will try to see what I can do mechanically, without opening up the pressure lines of course, before taking it to a a/c mechanic. I will try to test the thermostatic switch to see if that in fact is the culprit. Also the lever that activates the a/c has a fast idle switch adjustment screw.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Apprentice

Default A/C Issues

Hi All

After observing the A/C operating for approx 10 min, the clutch is not disengaging from the compressor: no clicking sound, and it doesn't stop turning. With the car off I can turn the clutch a little but it seems to be sticking. As soon as I turn the car on the air starts up right away. The lever in the car is at the off position but I wonder if it is not totally off. The cable may need adjustment. This still would not explain the clutch not coming in out. What component affects the clutch operation directly?Could it be the thermostatic switch, is it the charge of refrigerant, Is it the expansion valve?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Apprentice

Default A/C Issues

The compressor in the car looks different from the picture in the manual. There is a cylinder like device, possible a solenoid with wires coming off it that sits on top of the compressor. I will post a picture and see if the previous owner had someone rebuild the unit and get creative. The slip ring and brushes are there and I observed some arching while I was testing a/c.

Last edited by flyinthermals : 09-21-2013 at 05:57 AM.