This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Apprentice

flyinthermals is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator Filler Cap Location

Hi All,

How would I properly flush out the radiator and heater core on 62 bird. What would be the best coolant to use as to offer the best protection for this hot running engine. I do not see the rad filler cap. Is the rad filled by adding coolant to the overflow tank on top of the rad? I also want to flush out the synthetic 20w50 that was put into the engine last. Is simply draining the oil enough or is there a flushing agent that I should use?

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Apprentice

Ickaber is on a distinguished road
Default From the '62 manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinthermals View Post
I do not see the rad filler cap. Is the rad filled by adding coolant to the overflow tank on top of the rad?
DRAINING AND FILLING THE COOLING SYSTEM

To drain the radiator, open the drain cock located at the bottom corner of the radiator. Drain the cylinder block by removing the drain plugs located on both sides of the block.

To fill the cooling system, close the radiator drain cock and replace the drain plugs. Disconnect the heater outlet hose at the water pump, to bleed or release trapped air from the system. Fill the system until the coolant begins to flow from the heater outlet hose, then connect the heater outlet hose. Operate the engine until normal operating temperature has been reached and add more coolant to fill the radiator supply tank. After the initial fill, the coolant level will drop approximately 1 quart after the engine has been operated about 20 minutes at 2000 rpm. This is due to the the displacement of entrapped air.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Yes, the radiator is filled by taking off the filler cap on the overflow tank and filling the radiator from there. Do not fill the overflow tank completely full. Leave it only about 1/3 full to allow for future expansion of fluid in the tank.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 07-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Apprentice

Default Rad Cap Location

Thanks for the reply. I have the manual and read that portion yesterday. The previous owner said he checked the rad level from the cap and I have been unsuccessful locating that cap since At this point I cannot even tell if the coolant needs replacing because I cant even see the color. The temp is fine but for piece of mind I want to flush and refill.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Apprentice

Default Rad cap

Thanks Ray,

That was my next move. Rookie.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi All,

I also want to flush out the synthetic 20w50 that was put into the engine last. Is simply draining the oil enough or is there a flushing agent that I should use?

Thank you.
Just dump the oil and filter.

Leave the plug out of the sump (pan) overnight if you have time just to get as much as possible out - but there should be no problem doing the oil change quicker if you haven't the time.

New oil, new filter and you'll be sweet. (As we say in NZ)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Draining Oil

I just finished draining the oil and left the plug out for a couple hours as I did some work elsewhere. I put in the Brad pen oil 20w50 and I swear the engine was singing. This is the first oil change that this car has seen in 2.5 years. Albeit only 2500 miles between.

In my enthusiasm today as I cleaned the engine area I bumped the rubber hood limit stop and it disintegrated. I will be trying to find a replacement somewhere tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Apprentice

Default Filling the RAD

What coolant would be the best for this engine? Motomaster, dextron, prestone?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

The overflow tank is supposed to have a filler car on it on one end of it. Like in this picture. As for that rubber hood limit stop, you can get them from most all of our Tbird parts houses. I know that the Bird Nest has them, non-adjustible and adjustable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (15.1 KB, 35 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:

What coolant would be the best for this engine? Motomaster, dextron, prestone?
PRESTONE green will more than suffice. Use either the 50/50 or use distilled water to top off.