This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Bill~FINSRIN Has A New Toy!

Bill emailed me this evening to tell me that he has a new "toy" to play with, though it is not a Tbird. Here is what he had to say and some pix of what it looks like.

"Just bought a 1959 Lincoln Continental, Mark IV. 4dr breezeway (that slanted rear window that rolls down!) roof. Is half or more restored. Might finish it as an XL with bucket seats and console. Attached pictures are of same year-style-color. Though not of our Lincoln. Is in shop right now to fix gas tank leak. It appears to have 1960 2V 430 engine. New trans. New brakes. Lotz of rechrome done. 14" replaced with 15" wheels. No radio, heater, horns. Dash instrument panel in sad shape. Probably get modern guages. Squarebird or Bulletbird instrument panel might fit. Be doing a lot of measuring when it gets home. Original steering column and wheel have to go.

Well written 1958-60 review is here:

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/...rs_guide1.html

If you read the 2009 review of the '58-'60 Lincoln Continental, you will find something interesting about it and our '58 Squarebird! Like the '58, the '58 Lincoln Continental was scheduled to be air bagged also! But, like the '58 Squarebird, that project was scrapped for the Lincoln also. This is a very good write up on the 58-'60 Lincoln Continentals. There are additional pix of the car in this write up, though I think they are of a '60 Mark V. In wikipedia, I read where these were the biggest and heaviest Lincolns ever made, if I got that right. Here are the pix, though, as Bill said, not actually his car, but at least his looks just like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincoln59_01.jpg (83.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Lincoln59_02.jpg (100.1 KB, 121 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 PM

Here is an update that Bill sent me on the work being done on his '59 Lincoln, and three pix.

"Rust was MUCH worse than expected. Replacing/repairing floor pans as we go. In process of rebuilding under doors rocker structure to be far stronger than new. A 2x4 steel beam with 0.120 walls is being welded every 2 to 3 inches to rocker structure. At first was thinking 2x3 beams. Found it takes 2x4 just fine. Last picture shows some of new beam in rocker structure. Over half way done with floor & rocker work.
Starting to size things up for A/C, sound system, instruments.
Gobs more work to do on this one than I thought - dang it anyway !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill~FINSRIN'59Lincoln-1.jpg (73.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Bill~FINSRIN'59Lincoln-2.jpg (78.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Bill~FINSRIN'59Lincoln-3.jpg (57.8 KB, 118 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
...Like the '58 (Squarebird), the '58 Lincoln Continental was scheduled to be air bagged also! But, like the '58 Squarebird, that project was scrapped for the Lincoln also...
Edsel was to have air bags, too. They were ALL scrapped. The air system simply wasn't reliable but it was cheaper than using coil springs.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-18-2014, 01:07 AM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road

Ray - Thanks for posting pictures.
Really should login here more often. Been swamped with stuff to do. Built a hobby building for models last summer to now. Finally done, is nice but don't wanna do it again. Also got 59 Cadillac near finished last summer.
Hired help with expertise to move Lincoln along as quickly as practical. Like it done enough to drive by mid summer.
With more time in it, think we keep original steering column & wheel. Old workhorse engine runs well and so far oil leaks are minor. Not worth chasing, add oil as needed. Probably open front to check condition of timing set. Is long at 19ft 11in. Two inches longer than 59 Cadillac. One inch narrower. Sure don't look it.
Bill
Old 04-26-2014, 02:26 AM
Experienced

Unibody reinforcement and floor rebuild is done. Has built in jacking points. Is multi times stiffer/stronger than original. Under coating and painting of new metal is done.
Front & rear seats got reupholstered. Power seat workings got cleaned and lubed.
Making switch to the improved 60 Lincoln dash. Is a bolt in replacement.
Motor and trans pulled out for leak fixing. Otherwise they look good.
Radiator in shop for rebuild.
Figure it can use same electric wiper motor as we put in 60 Tbird. Need to check.
Hopefully cruising by mid summer.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

I was watching the Mecun Kansas auction yesterday when a 60 convertible sold for under $20000. It looked like it could use a restoration...
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 AM

Bill sent me some more pix of the work being down on his '59 Lincoln! Here is what he had to say.

"New floor pan and unibody side beams 2x4 .120 wall are in. New metal painted.
Is in suspension shop for new bushings, idler arm, shocks, brake lines, etc.....
Decided to go with stock seats and fresh fabric, which is done.
Pictures are first day in suspension shop."

Here are the pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linc59_08s.jpg (75.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Linc59_09s.jpg (48.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Linc59_10s.jpg (49.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Linc59_11s.jpg (87.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Linc59_12s.jpg (66.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Linc59_13s.jpg (81.6 KB, 60 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I love these Lincolns
Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Experienced

Thanks Dakota Boy.
Me too or would not have bought it.
With body ills fixed and suspension up to spec. Can then get to building-finishing in ways I chose to. Mostly stock with a few variations.

The apparently 1960 2V 430 can stay since it is running so well.
A cruiser, not a hot rod. Have a Corvette and Shelby 500 to hot rod with. After more scrutiny, the 60 Lincoln dash with after market 3 3/8 instruments looks like the way to go. Getting the five power windows (each door & rear) in working order will take some doing. Window channels too. At least all glass is good.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Bill love those Lincolns in triple black colour. Really makes the chrome " pop " and look majestic. I have a buddy here in Calgary that has a triple black 70 that is stunning
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023