X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tp tbird
    Experienced
    • Dec 17 2007

Miss in my 430

My 59 430 is getting a miss, it started about a month ago.Everything is pretty new or rebuilt, driving it about 5 miles it starts to miss and the further I go it gets worst. Then at a stop light it misses so bad it acts like it is going to die. Points look good and it is getting fuel and not running hot. Any ideas want to look for?Thanks
    Last edited by YellowRose; June 25, 2013, 05:26 PM. Reason: This subject had two threads going. I combined them into one.
  • tp tbird
    Experienced
    • Dec 17 2007

59 430 engine has a miss

My 59 430 is getting a miss, it started about a month ago.Everything is pretty new or rebuilt, driving it about 5 miles it starts to miss and the further I go it gets worst. Then at a stop light it misses so bad it acts like it is going to die. Points look good and it is getting fuel and not running hot. Any ideas want to look for?Thanks

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

First thing I would do is to get rid of the points and install an electronic ignition. Petronic is about $60. Well worth the investment. Before you spend the money for the electronic ign. you might want to do a quick compression test and make sure you don't have a low cylinder. When you say everything is pretty new, is the engine completely rebuilt?

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I need a lot more info.
        What is your battery voltage when it starts missing?
        Does it seem like the same cylinder is missing?
        Are you hearing lifter noise when this happens?
        You didn't say but, when the engine cools, does the missing stop?

Most missing issues involve the electrical components starting with plugs and wires. More advanced issues involve points, the coil and ballast resistor.

Missing can also be caused by sticky valve trains. A compression check is a good check for this but so is simply watching the rocker arms. If one hangs open or stays shut, your engine will miss. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tp tbird
          Experienced
          • Dec 17 2007

Engine miss

Yes the engine was rebuild about 2000 miles ago, like I said it seems to run find till I go about 5 miles then it starts like one miss then run a little ways okay then another one and then get worst as I go futher.At the stop light I thought it would die sitting there ,pretty much a steady miss after that. I was worried I would not make it home. I checked the filter and the fuel pump to see it they were clogged,but they were clean.I also looked at the points they seemed to be okay.

Comment

• tp tbird
            Experienced
            • Dec 17 2007

Engine miss

I didn't think to leave it run when I got home,maybe I will take it back out and run it till it starts again. I don't hear any valve noise when it does it, could the coil do it if it is going bad?The wires were new along with the plugs.The battery is good ,but I don't have a meter to check it, I do have some gauges on the away.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Yes, a bad coil can seem to 'heal' itself when it cools down. If you have a spare coil laying around, try it.

Check your ballast resistor. Make sure it isn't shorted out. That would overheat a coil. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• cdhowell
                Apprentice
                • Jun 15 2011

New does not equal good. Start with your basic tune up. Pull the spark plugs and read them. Rich, lean, oil soaked. Let us know what you find and then we can help from there.

Comment

• tp tbird
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 17 2007

430 miss

Now this morning I started my car and it was missing at idle so I check the timing it was okay check the points they were set okay. Restarted it and it run fine so I drove it for about 15 minutes and was fine, the only thing I can think of is when I put the feeler gauge between the points there was something I couldn't see and it cleaned it off maybe. I guess I will see if it starts again the next time I run it

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

If it does turn out to be your points, you might want to check this out for a long term fix and save yourself a lot of grief. Most guys I think did the conversion to their cars: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignitor-Ignition-Dual-Point-Ford-8-cyl-Distributor-Vac-/380361337238?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year %3A1960|Make%3AFord&hash=item588f4d6996&vxp=mtr

Nyles

Comment

• tp tbird
                      Experienced
                      • Dec 17 2007

430 miss

Thanks for the information, I will look into it

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢