This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road
Default flywheel question

Probably a dumb question, but here it is. I'm putting a 428 crank in my 390. Will I have to use a different flywheel? Also, can my existing flywheel be resurfaced like a brake rotor?

Also, Autozone has a 428 crankshaft with main and rod bearings for $283.99. Pep boys has them for $299. So does anyone know what's going on with these? Are they total junk?

Here's the link,

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...6397_124837_0_

thx, Dave Jones
Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post

Probably a dumb question, but here it is.
Not a dumb question.

Quote:
I'm putting a 428 crank in my 390. Will I have to use a different flywheel? Also, can my existing flywheel be resurfaced like a brake rotor?
The 410 and 428 FE are externally balanced and require a different flywheel than the 390. It may also require a different harmonic balancer. Ideally, all three components should be balanced together (advanced machine shop).

A flywheel can be resurfaced like rotors/drums.

Quote:
Also, Autozone has a 428 crankshaft with main and rod bearings for $283.99. Pep boys has them for $299. So does anyone know what's going on with these? Are they total junk?

Here's the link,

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...6397_124837_0_

thx, Dave Jones
I would try and find the name of the vendor. Usually, most larger machine shops can get crank kits. Even the ones that used to come through FORD REMAN years ago were spotty in quality. Make sure you mic everything during assembly.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

...while waiting for the sandman (old fart disease)...

Here is some info on 428 CS ID-

-428CJ/SCJ Crankshaft Identification-

You would want to balance the CS after you have found a flywheel and decided on the period FEAD (Front Engine Accessory Drive) balancer you will use.

ADDITIONAL INFO-

-390 CI to 410 CI CONVERSION INFO-

Quote:
Note that all harmonic balancers are neutral balanced for the FE engines and therefore interchangeable.

Last edited by KULTULZ : 06-19-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Super-Experienced

Thx Gary, now I guess I need to find the best deal on a flywheel. Any ideas?

The shop that is doing the shortblock build for me didn't believe Autozone could sell a crank that cheap. His exact words were, "hell the bearings kit alone cost $107."

thx, Dave
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post

Thx Gary, now I guess I need to find the best deal on a flywheel. Any ideas?
Is your application AT or MT?

It is possible ($$$) to have the crank internally balanced and use the 390 flywheel. It would require a specialty speed machine shop (again $$$).

Quote:
The shop that is doing the shortblock build for me didn't believe Autozone could sell a crank that cheap. His exact words were, "hell the bearings kit alone cost $107."

thx, Dave

EXACTLY!

It may be some off-shore piece of crap. That is why I would call them and find the name of the vendor first. Be prepared for the machine shop to refuse to install it if it is indeed a POC.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Super-Experienced

I have a MT. Close ratio 1 3/8" toploader.

Yeah, he said if they build the short block he will use his own components because they know what they are getting. They've been around some 40 years and know FE's.

If I get the parts, and tell him what I want them machined to he said he'd do that, but he won't assemble and won't guarantee anything.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
KULTULZ

Here is a suggestion for the flywheel-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mc...rd?prefilter=1
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Super-Experienced

Thx Gary, I had found this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ha...-size/7-0l-428

The Mcleod is 10 pounds lighter.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
KULTULZ

Just make sure it is listed for the 428 (external balance). There are separate weights to attach to make it balanced. Also consider hardened flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Discuss this with your builder.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Super-Experienced

will do, thanks!