This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road
Default Edelbrock 1407

Hi, came across this carb for sale. It was only used for engine testing and has no mileage - it looks brand new.
I'm looking for any input on this carb as I know next to nothing about carbs. I eventually want to have a 390 or 428 with an edelbrock RPM performer intake and a mild to mid cam. Gas mileage (economy) is not an issue.

thx in advance, Dave J
Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
EDELBROCK PERFORMER SERIES 750 CFM, MANUAL CHOKE CARBURETORS

CALIBRATED FOR PERFORMANCE

Designed and calibrated for optimum street performance in small-block and big-block engines with Performer RPM, RPM Air-Gap and Torker II manifolds and with Performer manifolds on large cubic-inch engines. Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. Electric choke #1478 can be added if needed. Comes with: Metering Jets - Primary .113, Secondary .107; Metering Rods - .071 x .047; Step-Up Spring - orange (5" Hg). Use our Carb Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed, see Installation Items. For auto trans throttle lever adapters and more, see Tuning Accessories.
SOURCE- -EDELBROCK CARBURETORS-
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Super-Experienced

Thx Gary, I ws mostly wondering if someone might chime in with personal experience. Something like, "oh no, don't go edelbrock, it's crap compared to the Holley". etc.

This is the add and pictures I was looking at buying.
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pts/3849858981.html

If it's still available this Friday the guy said I could make him an offer - maybe get it for $150. Seems like a good deal. Plus, from what he tells me I can buy different jets from Edelbrock for $15 and go smaller if needed.

thx!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM
KULTULZ

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post

Thx Gary, I ws mostly wondering if someone might chime in with personal experience. Something like, "oh no, don't go edelbrock, it's crap compared to the Holley". etc.
Well, I am a HOLLEY/AUTOLITE 4100 man myself. The EDELBROCK is a continuation of the orgional CARTER carb. It is a quality product and is an easy bolt-on. Performance parts/upgrades are available directly from EDELBROCK and it is easily tunable. The last one I installed was on a 350 Stove Bolt... ... but it woke up the engine. They are also popular as replacements for original CARTER installs (LINC).

A 750 CFM is a little much for the street (IMO) but if the engine is modified to the point of accepting the flow, nothing wrong with it.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This is the add and pictures I was looking at buying.
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pts/3849858981.html

If it's still available this Friday the guy said I could make him an offer - maybe get it for $150. Seems like a good deal. Plus, from what he tells me I can buy different jets from Edelbrock for $15 and go smaller if needed.

thx!
We have the 1406 on one of our 65 Tbirds and an older Carter on another one, both have been nice solid carburetors. They don't seem to create much drama and are easy to adjust and tune from my experience with them.

The 58 TBird is running a 390 with the Carter 650 on a performer intake with a mild cam, and it runs really nice.

Be careful about running to large a carburetor on your motor though, the 1407 might be to much for the 390? I know I ran one on our olds with a strong 455 and that motor did not like it in the turns. We finally landed with a Holley 650 jetted up to feed the 455 and the motor really likes the smaller carb.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The Edelbrock's are great carbs. However I agree that the 1407 might be too much for a 390. A 1406 would be a better fit. If it's cheap enough you can probably resell it, get a used 1406 and have money left over.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Super-Experienced

By 1406 do you mean a Holly?

Right now I have the original Autolite 1406. I like it and it's OK but I'm kind of planning down the road to have the 390 stroked , and/or build something bigger.

Being that you can downsize the jets on the Edelbrock I thought I could use it now and also later when I beef up the 390. Or is it a better idea to go with a smaller carb now, and a bigger one later?

Dave
Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Experienced

triple60squares is on a distinguished road

edelbrock is the only way to go I wouldn't run a holley on a lawn mower on the 390 the 750 will be fine be sure to keep your fuel pressure below 6 lbs if not you will blow fuel past the needle and seat I have 5 edelbrocks all are straight out of the box with only basic setup tuning done and have NO problems out of any of them

on the other hand I have never owned a good holley and ive had new, rebuilt, remaned, 600,650, 750,850,2bbls single lines, single pumpers, dual line double pumpers, center squirters, you name it all were garbage

ive had many carter/edelbrocks all were awesome except maybe one thermoquad
Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By 1406 do you mean a Holly?
I mean an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carburetor. That's the closest to the original Autolite 4100.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Super-Experienced

I guess I should have been more specific up front.

I have c4ae- 6090g heads. The have the large intake ports. I also have FPA headers and 2 1/2 pipes through straight glass packs. I plan having the heads rebuilt and a little porting and polishing done. I also plan on putting the carb on an Edelbrock RPM Performer intake. That should give me fairly decent flow.
If I understand correctly I can change the jets out fairly cheaply on the 1407 if it is too much for my set up.

Also, we are at 7,000 feet elevation. From what I've read that means I should adjust toward a more "richer" mix because we have less oxygen here.

I think I'll buy it and give it a try. I can always sell it if it's over kill.

My current autolite is a manual choke so that will be easy enough. I believe it is a vacuum secondary, I'll have to look.

Dave J