This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM

bobby59galaxie is on a distinguished road
Default 332 water pump pulley!

Hello Everyone,
my name is bobby and I have a 1959 ford galaxie.
I recently devoloped a lung problem and cant be in hot
humid temp. so my wife bought me a vintage aire kit for
my car so I could start using it again.
My car is all original with 332 engine the kit we bought was
soposed to have all the parts needed but I cant find a water
pump pulley to make it work. I have looked everywhere.
the main problem is it needs to be 3.44 inches in depth to
align with crankshaft on bottom. any advice on what to do
I would Appreciate is so very much I just want to drive my car again bobby

Last edited by bobby59galaxie : 01-22-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: mis worded
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It looks like you will have to find one that fits a 58 or 59 full size Ford with a 332/352. A Thunderbird pulley is a different size and part number. If someone here can't help you try Love Fords or one of the other Galaxie sites.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Squarebirds.org, Bobby. I'm trying to understand your request.
Are you going from a double-sheave to a triple-sheave pulley? You didn't mention the diameter you need, either.

Did you try Marche pulleys?

Don't stop looking because Chevy used many of the same pulleys. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Hey Dave!

Just cruising thru and read this. I am away from the house and don't have access to the 49/59 MPC you so graciously supplied.

The Basic PN is 8509 if anyone can look it up and give him the Service PN. It should make for an easier search...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Slow Typist

I see that in the part numbers but he has a custom setup. The compressor will be different and so will the mounting. I'm trying to figure whether he is going to a three-sheave pulley. If so, the only consideration is the existing belt centers.

Here's the MPC listing for Ford Cars w/3-sheave pulleys:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959ThreeSheavePulley.jpg (32.1 KB, 58 views)

--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

I was thinking just the compressor and mounting bracket would be updated (SANDEN) but the crank and WP pulley be OEM.

If it wasn't OEM, I would think the kit manufacturer would offer the pulley.

Maybe he can fill us in.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Slow Typist

I'm sure Classic Air supplies Sanden compressors but I have yet to see them supply a pulley. Bobby may not need a sheave that goes to the crank. Simply run a belt off the empty top pulley and add adjustment.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I think you're right Dave - like the Tbird 352 A/C setup (which has been a royal pain to get figured out). Pic's would definitely help.

So here's a Galaxie 332 or 352 with factory A/C. The belt would run from the compressor (missing) around 2 idler pulleys (one missing) and down to the crank. Notice no adjustment slots on the compressor bracket so belt adjustment is done by moving the offset idler pulley.

But on the factory Tbird 352 the compressor holes are slotted to move the compressor and adjust the belt - maybe that's the way the Vintage kit would work? The Tbird only has a belt from the water pump to the compressor. The water pump is driven by 2 other belts going to the crank and genny - but not to the A/C compressor.

Vintage Air catalog didn't show a Surefit system for the Galaxie so I guess you have a generic system.
Maybe what you need is like Dave mentioned and what is on the Tbird. It's a COAE-8509-A pulley for the water pump. If you do use this pulley you will probably have to get a new spacer for the fan. The end of the pulley is bigger than the end of the waterpump. I bought my spacer from Sumit but it's made by flex fan.

Those pulleys are a bit hard to find and usually expensive - Carl Heller(partsetal) here on the forum might have a good used one. If you're close to Charlotte NC I could loan you mine and you can see if it works - otherwise I can get some measurements off my pulley. Just finished figuring out how the belts will work and still use my P/S pump on my car - had to use a 63 Galaxie P/S dished pulley. I'm thinking the aftermarket system on the Galaxie would be the same as the factory system on the Tbird - just a guess though.

This is an aftermarket A/C bracket on my car but at least it shows what the water pump pulley looks like.

Eric
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I may have an extra pulley that is against the fan spacer in the second picture posted by DKheld. I am only going from memory and will be home to measue and take pictures in 2 weeks. If any one is interested in the measurements let me know and I will gladly check and post. J
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby59galaxie View Post

my name is bobby and I have a 1959 ford galaxie.
I recently devoloped a lung problem and cant be in hot
humid temp. so my wife bought me a vintage aire kit for
my car so I could start using it again.

My car is all original with 332 engine the kit we bought was
soposed to have all the parts needed but I cant find a water
pump pulley to make it work. I have looked everywhere.
the main problem is it needs to be 3.44 inches in depth to
align with crankshaft on bottom. any advice on what to do

I would Appreciate is so very much I just want to drive my car again bobby
Can you post what kit(s) you bought and just what Vintage Air promised? I see no complete kit offered. You must piece together a complete install. They do offer complete changeovers for some GM cars.

Similiar system here- http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo..._31000009.html

Nothing 59 FORD specific.

Their compressor mounting bracket- http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...et-p-3551.html

I am thinking you will have to find the original FEAD (Front Engine Accessory Drive) from an OEM AC 59 FORD, unless you can adapt the kit listed below-

Here is a SANDEN compressor mounting kit.

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/901104.pdf

A buddy of mine bought a kit but it was only the evaporator and case for inside the car (57 FORD). The engine is a 4.6L LINC 32V so nothing else is needed other than hoses.

Last edited by KULTULZ : 04-17-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: ADD INFO