This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.

Go Back   Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum > Ford Engines > FE Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Default What is the purpose of the magnet on the choke plate?

It seems to me that it shuts the plate completely and makes it harder for the choke spring to pull it off. When I set the choke on mine I keep the plate slightly open when cold. I'm concerned otherwise that the engine wouldn't start.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM
KULTULZ

Question

Magnet?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yeah Gary, I've never heard of one an any carburetor.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post

It seems to me that it shuts the plate completely and makes it harder for the choke spring to pull it off. When I set the choke on mine I keep the plate slightly open when cold. I'm concerned otherwise that the engine wouldn't start.
There is no magnet, other than the magnet offered years ago to supposedly increase fuel mileage and lessen occurrences of vapor lock...

The choke cap spring is the only method by which the choke plate closes. The introduction of heated air (choke stove hot air in this instance) expands and lessens the tension of the spring gradually opening the choke plate.

There is an adjustment to be made (manual choke pull-off) when the carb is cold that will either increase/decrease this tension. When the choke is set, the choke closes completely and this is when that adjustment is necessary.

The Shop Manual has a very good description of the theory.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

You guy's haven't seen the magnet?

Part #77
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 AM
KULTULZ

Question

I haven't.

What series 4100 do you have (year-model)?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 AM
KULTULZ

Talking

OK...

While living with old age insomnia and this subject absolutely driving me up a wall, I think I have found the answer.

On the instruction sheet you showed, it appears as the original instruction sheet included in the FORD kit. Look @ PG 03 and you will see in one box- CHOKE MAGNET & BRACKET ADJ.

I believe this to be an early method of ensuring the choke plate staying (allowing for pull-off adj) closed while cranking on early models. I found an application on a 58 MERC 1.06. It does not show on the 58 MERC 1.19

It must have been used on a very few early 4100 models. Later design used linkage adj. to hold the choke plate closed.

The kit (AUTOLITE/MOTORCRAFT C2SZ 9A586-D) was designed finally to include most all service parts for most all models/variations over the production years.

I am pretty sure that is what this feature is (was) designed for. And I don't ever remember coming across this or I just didn't realize what I was looking at.

Now maybe I can fall asleep...

Is Yadkin your name or home in NC? I used to live in EDEN/STONEVILLE.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I haven't.

What series 4100 do you have (year-model)?
Mine is a late 1964 for a base 390. This kit sold at Mike's Carburetor Parts is #438 for various engines (from a 289 to a 428!) between 1958-1969.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

OK...

While living with old age insomnia and this subject absolutely driving me up a wall, I think I have found the answer.

On the instruction sheet you showed, it appears as the original instruction sheet included in the FORD kit. Look @ PG 03 and you will see in one box- CHOKE MAGNET & BRACKET ADJ.

I believe this to be an early method of ensuring the choke plate staying (allowing for pull-off adj) closed while cranking on early models. I found an application on a 58 MERC 1.06. It does not show on the 58 MERC 1.19

It must have been used on a very few early 4100 models. Later design used linkage adj. to hold the choke plate closed.

The kit (AUTOLITE/MOTORCRAFT C2SZ 9A586-D) was designed finally to include most all service parts for most all models/variations over the production years.

I am pretty sure that is what this feature is (was) designed for. And I don't ever remember coming across this or I just didn't realize what I was looking at.

Now maybe I can fall asleep...

Is Yadkin your name or home in NC? I used to live in EDEN/STONEVILLE.
That's a plausible explanation. With my old-age eyesight I did not see the adjustment instructions for that (figure 12). Mine closes tight, and it needs to be set at 0.010". Apparently this gives a super-rich shot of fuel if you cold crank before opening the throttle to achieve the 1/16" opening from the choke unloader (figure 15).

Yadkin is the name of a river that I live near. I'm located about an hour west of Eden.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:

That's a plausible explanation. With my old-age eyesight I did not see the adjustment instructions for that (figure 12). Mine closes tight, and it needs to be set at 0.010". Apparently this gives a super-rich shot of fuel if you cold crank before opening the throttle to achieve the 1/16" opening from the choke unloader (figure 15).
That design must have been some stop-gap measure on some applications. Is this feature on your 4100 and what was the original application?

Simply put, when the automatic choke is set (depress accelerator pedal fully once) and the choke plate closes, it cannot close fully or the engine will starve for air @ start-up. That measured (spec) gap has to be in the choke plate to air-horn for proper start-up.

If the engine refuses to start on initial firing, one depresses the accelerator fully and holds to engage the manual choke pull-off feature (also an adjustment). This will allow enough air to start if the engine has not flooded.

Quote:

Mine is a late 1964 for a base 390. This kit sold at Mike's Carburetor Parts is #438 for various engines (from a 289 to a 428!) between 1958-1969.
I missed your post. Do you think the carb was original equipment on the 64 or was it from another application?

Did it have an Assembly Tag I.D. No.?

Last edited by KULTULZ : 10-01-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: SHORT EYEBALLS