This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road
Default 390 question

Can anyone tell me what these block date codes mean?
2C12
The first "2" has two dots under it.
From what I've googled I believe it means 1972. But i think it could be a 1962.
If it is the 1972 can you tell me how I would find the HP and torque ratings for this with the 4 barrell? I can't find them for a 1972 anywhere.
Also is there a way I can tell if it is the truck 390, or the car 390.

thx, Dave J
Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Sure, Dave... CLICK HERE

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Super-Experienced

Way cool - I'm bookmarking that one.

thx!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Very useful link. Thank you very much Dave
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Slow Typist

Guys, don't thank me, I'm just glad to help.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Super-Experienced

Hm, I still don't see where I can tell if the first number "2" with two dots under it means it's a 1962, or 1972 block? I can't find a "part casting number, usually cast or stamped into the part." on my block where it should be.
The reason I need to know is because I am looking for the "mounting-clutch equalizer bar bracket" (engine side).
I've found a few of these on E-bay but I don't think they will work with my block. The mounting holes on my block appear to be ~3 inches apart. If you look here you'll see the various ones on E-bay. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...+z+bar&_sacat=
Problem is, they are all about 1 9/16 inches apart on the hole centers. Otherwise they would work fine.

Also, can anyone tell me what they call the short little pieces of tube that are used to keep the heads in place when putting them back on an engine? They go in the lower corner holes on the block.

Thx as always, Dave J
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Slow Typist

You may id your block by different castings that are attached to the block if you can't find a good block ID:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/en...s_6572cars.htm
This page shows 1965-'72

http://fordification.net/tech/engineIDtags.htm
This shows 1973-'79

You need to have your head screwed on straight when buying parts from eBay. Many times they don't say what the part number is or what year engine it came from. A 1960 FE engine uses a B8A 7509-A Engine bracket, but a 1961-'64 uses a C2AA 7A572-A. I'm not sure what the newer blocks used.

I call those little rings that hold the heads before assembly, locating bushings. They may have a different name, but new ones come in the gasket sets.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
I've heard those head mounting "points" called dowels.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Thx gents!
Unfortunately this motor had already been gone through before, and the coil wasn't attached when I bought it. I don't find anything that can really help me tag, stamp, or cast wise, but it's really not that big of a deal. I have what I know is a 390 and I know what the distance between the 2 holes is for the Z bar clutch equalizer bracket. What I did with the other parts I found on E-bay was ask the seller what the measurements were. I'll have to do the same here until I find what I need. Basically I have the correct Z-bar for a 59 T-bird, and I'll have to find the engine side (lower) equalizer bar bracket for a 67ish 390. May have to make some mods but I'll get it to work eventually.

At least I know what to ask for when I get the "head dowels". I bought a complete felpro gasket set for the 390, but they weren't included. No biggie.

thx again to all