This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM

raptor1962
Default Torque convertor question

Could anyone please tell me the stock stall speed of the torque convertor for a 77 T-bird? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM

raptor1962

Guess nobody knows..... or maybe doesn't care. I had hoped someone would know. Oh well.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Torque converter question

Hi wayne. There are several reasons why someone might not have replied to your post. First is that perhaps they did not see it. Secondly, they might not have known the answer to the question. Thirdly, someone, like me, who does not know the answer, might be researching it. But I doubt anyone on this Forum would pass it by because they did not care....

I know very little about Torque converters and their stall speeds. I have been told that you want a low rating so that you get smooth action at lower speeds. I would suggest that if you have 1977 shop manual see what you might find in it about this. Or google the subject and see what you can find about it. Hopefully, someone with a lot more knowledge than I have who knows the answer, will see this and respond.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Hi Wayne,

I have the 55-56 Fordomatic Shop Manuals and they list stall speeds in the troubleshooting section.

I don't know what tranny in in yours so see if you can find a shop manual, not just for that year of TBird, but for the Transmission for that year. If it is like a C4 or C6 there should be lots of info on them.

Maybe on one of those Shop Manual CDs that may have other scanned books.

HTH

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'm with Jim and Ray. Stall speed is lock-up speed, the point at which your converter stops slipping. For production cars that are ever conscious of fuel economy and efficiency, the lock-up speed will be very low.

More slippery converters run hot and are very expensive. They are designed for engines with cam torque curves in the mid to high rpm range; not typical of a production drivetrain setup. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1962 View Post
Guess nobody knows..... or maybe doesn't care. I had hoped someone would know. Oh well.
My bet it is around the 1,800rpm mark, I think that is what my '71 C-6 is...I think!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM
KULTULZ

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1962 View Post

Could anyone please tell me the stock stall speed of the torque convertor for a 77 T-bird? Thanks.
I rarely see lack of concern here as everyone gets along and actually falls over themselves to be helpful.

The SPEC will be found in the correct year SHOP MANUAL, the separate manual named 19XX CAR SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS. I have the 76 & 78 naturally.

You have to have the ASSEMBLY TAG I.D. NO. to arrive at the correct spec as they are different in the cars lines and in the same model run (vehicle calibration).