This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Arrow Dave's 390 Build

I will document the entire overhaul in a separate site with questions and concerns posted here, in this thread. This departs from my normal way of posting, so I will number my pictures for you to reference. CLICK HERE for the 390 Build.

This build won't be like my usual engines because it will be suited for today's 87 octane gasohol, modern conventional oil, and extreme heat.

My first order is to find a good 390 core for machining. Enjoy the pictures and please offer any comments or concerns so that I may make a better build. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 02-25-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Apprentice

Tenshi95 is on a distinguished road

Getting an error trying to click to any other page. Looks good so far, thanks for putting up pictures!

-Robert
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Penelope's 390

Hi Robert, Dave only has the first page up so far. That is why you are getting errors on the other pages. The first page is about the acquiring of the 390 and tranny. As he starts working on overhauling it, he will probably be putting that work on subsequent pages. Stay tuned!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

I am absolutely ecstatic that Dave has taken on this build for me and watching it happen from half a world away will certainly keep me in suspense. Cant wait to fire up the 390 and shift the '60 like its never shifted before. Thank you again Dave!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Slow Typist

Ray is right. When I set up my first page, I try to prepare it for pages that don't exist, yet. I just got this engine home yesterday and today we have freezing rain in Michigan. It would be nice to have a heated shop or to live down south where you guys are enjoying 60*F (tee shirt weather for us).

I could fly through teardown and assembly, without taking pictures (like most mechanics do), but that helps nobody on our site. Instead, this project will go relatively slow because I will document details, there is no rush, and I can wait for fair weather.

My upcoming job will be to remove the trans, intake manifold, timing cover, and heads. I am dying to uncover the condition of the rocker shafts. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Mine was rebuilt a couple of years ago but I will be following this also as its always interesting to learn the condition of the innards and what may have been done (or not) over the years and be aware of issues.

Perhaps an opportunity to show and explain many of the changes the FE went through over the years and some of the pitfalls when mixing parts over the broad range of production.

Looking forward to this!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Dave - can't believe you will have time to do that engine at the same time you are building your '58 Tbird convertible (heh).

Really great that you are passing along the info. Can't wait to see the progress. Already refreshed my memory on that welding rod trick - cool.

But I have some questions....

I see the oil filter on this 390 comes out horizontal and the Tbird is vertical - is that a simple filter adapter swap?

My guess is that you are just doing a long block without the intake because I see this is a 2 barrel intake with no road draft port and of course all the pulleys and brackets are different or maybe a 2 barrel is the planned route?

AND -

That is one sweeeeet Galaxie. Looking at the size of the exhaust - he didn't put a 429 in it did he?

This is really a great idea Dave,

Eric
Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Slow Typist

Thanks Joe and Eric. My goal is two-fold. I must confess, I welcomed this build but it wasn't originally my idea. Things just happened to fall in place at this time for Bill and I.

And it's funny... I just got off the phone with an old high school buddy of mine; Rocky Huddleston wants to help me wrench. A lot of folks are interested in this build.

Eric, this engine will have Edelbrock Performer heads & 4-bbl intake manifold. It will also have a roller cam and hydraulic lifters. I'm keeping the compression ratio at ~9:1. I will get into details as we go. There are parts I will swap from Penelope's 352, when it arrives in Australia. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Roller cam ...

Dave, you might want to give Kieth a call. Sounds like it should be a nice build. I have a 433 FE stroker with roller cam and ported E-bock heads sitting on the stand that will be going in my 60 this summer. Mike

Search: Login / Register Home - Forum - Classifieds - Photos - Links Friday January, 27 2012
Return to Index Keith Craft FE Hydraulic roller cam & lifter special $650.00

January 27 2012 at 12:21 PM Keith Craft (Login Keithc8)
Members

We have several Custom Cam grinds to choose from. These camshafts are on
Billet camshaft cores. With High quality roller lifters. Call for specs for
your application. 870-246-7460

Respond to this message Help keep our FordFE.com forum free of banner advertising and pop-ups!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Slow Typist

Mike, Thank You... you turned me on to a real good deal and Penelope will save some money. (I hope shipping doesn't kill me.) Keith Craft has all the right machines for a complete speed shop.

I understand he buys rough cams and rough heads, and does his own machining and grinding. Let's see how his prices compare. I might do a custom grind.

I spoke with Tony and sent him a shopping list of parts I need. I'm sure I'll hear back on Monday. - Dave

Mike, your engine looks awesome.

--Lee Iacocca