This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 AM

2tonegreen is on a distinguished road
Default 59 Galaxie

First off I am brand new to the forum, I need some help as I have a 59 Galaxie with a 332 and cruiseomatic transmission. I am wanting to convert it to a manual 3 speed transmission. I beleive I have rounded up most everything I need so far. Everything is stock in my conversion. I need to know what type of throttle linkage was used with a standard transmission, if anyone has a picture of the setup as I don't have anyone in my area with one of these cars to take a look at. Also in this year of car do I need one of those metal block plates behind the flywheel? If anyone can help me along the way with what I run into doing this it would be appreaciated.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 59 Galaxie

Hi Randy, and welcome to the Forum. I am the one who processed and approved your membership. Congratulations on owning a '59 Galaxie. That is probably going to make our webmaster, Dave Dare ~ simplyconnected happy! I cannot comment on the assistance you need, but Dave certainly can because he owns a couple of full sized Fords, one a '55 Customline and the other a '59 Galaxie! I do not see him on at the moment, but when he gets on, I am sure he will see this and be able to answer your questions. He is a retired Ford plant guy and really knows his stuff. Others might be able to help also. So check back later today and hopefully, he will have commented on this.

We always enjoy seeing pictures of our new members cars. If you have any you want to share with us you can post them directly on our server as a Paid Member. To become one, have a PayPal account and click on the Donate to Site button at the top right of this Forum. Or you can create an account on one of the free picture hosting websites, like Photobucket, upload your pictures there and post the link to them in Our Rides Forum. Or you can send them to me and I will post them for you. I would recommend that you save my phone number should you ever need to contact me. Should you have any problems navigating our Forum, please contact me, or our webmaster, simplyconnected. His phone number is 248-544-8834. Enjoy The Journey!

Good luck with your conversion.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tonegreen View Post
...Everything is stock in my conversion. I need to know what type of throttle linkage was used with a standard transmission... Also in this year of car do I need one of those metal block plates behind the flywheel?..
Ok, if everything is stock we'll start inside. You need to take out your steering column and swap brake pedal supports. Then you need a "manual" steering colum with gear shift lever and blank PRNDL plate.

Under the hood, you need the clip that bolts to the frame for your clutch bell crank ball stud, the brass cups and associated linkage. You need trans linkage from the shift arms to your trans. You also need a crossmember piece for the tailshaft of your trans because it is shorter than the COM.

You will need a pilot bearing in the crankshaft, a bell housing, and flywheel (with starter to match), a throwout bearing and fork. Oh, and a pressure plate and clutch disk.

Mine had no other 'block plate' behind the trans. I'm not quite sure what that is, but I did this conversion going the OTHER way... The car came as a standard shift and my wife wanted a COM. I have all the original parts. In fact, the engine and trans have never been separated because I found an engine/COM on eBay, overhauled and installed them. Here is my site:
CLICK HERE

I didn't take this picture with the intention of showing the Galaxie was a stick, but you can see that it was.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 01-18-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Slow Typist

Since I did the transmission retrofit, I made other monumental changes:
Rack and Pinion Power Steering
Electric Wipers
Power Disk Brakes (using my original spindles)
Converted the radio to AM/FM/MP3 stereo (but it looks bone stock).
130-amp alternator
Electric Fan

Our Galaxie came with a 292 Y-Block 2-bbl. That's what it has now (but it runs a lot better with my new engine). I fabricated the brackets for the alternator and power steering pump. Next, I plan on adding A/C, maybe next summer.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

Hey Randy, can you tell me where you got all your parts?
I'm trying to put a 4 speed toploader in my 59 T-bird and have everything except the clutch bell crank (Z bar). I probably need a few other little pieces of linkage too. I don't care what the parts are out of, just so they work.
Also, if anyone has some pictures of a manual set up from under the hood I would love to see it. I too have no idea how it's suppose to look, and my 1959 manual doesn't really show that part, just the pedal assembly.
Thx, and welcome aboard from New Mexico!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post
...my 1959 manual doesn't really show that part, just the pedal assembly...
Hope this helps - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Super-Experienced

That picture looks very familiar - I'm having a flashback, I believe you (or someone) already did this for me once.
Thx a ton SimplyConnected!
Dave J
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Super-Experienced

Default measurements

Hi again all, does anyone happen to know what the measurements of part number 7509 in Dave Dares drawing of the clutch pedal assembly might be?
I've found a guy named Bob Bowers in Columbus Ohio that fabricates parts like these and I need to know how long the bracket is from the bellhousing to the ball center. He said he'd be glad to make more as these are VERY hard to find for the T-birds. He said the motor mounts in these birds was set a little more forward than the other cars of the same time.

thx in advance, Dave Jones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z-bar 49-59Illust-245.jpg (241.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Slow Typist

David, that engine bracket is different from '58 Squarebirds to '59 & '60 Squarebirds.

Measure your FE engine mounting holes. If you have the frame-side done, it isn't hard to figure where the engine side should fall. Just line-up the bellcrank so that it is straight and measure how far back-to-front the bracket should be on the engine side.

If you have the bracket that came from another engine, you may be able to modify it to fit your setup. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Super-Experienced

Thx Dave, that's what I am planning on doing, but I just thought I would ask in case someone had a 3 speed 59 that they could measure. That way I could have the guy make it knowing the exact size. I'll probably stick the engine and ten measure it if I don't get a reply from someone that has a manual 59.

I also still need parts 7521, 7522, 7523, 7562, and 7515. I can buy most of them on e-bay or Jegs etc, but would like to find them a little cheaper if possible.

regards, Dave J