This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:56 AM

twotone is on a distinguished road
Question side beam under rockerpanel

Hello brothers im restoring a 59 coup and didnt exspect the rot that was under the left rocker ounce i removed the two that were on it the side beam is heavily roted.And these being a unibody i dont see how to get to the beam at the front and back were the front bottum fender and the quarter panel front cover it.Is there anyone that has repaired this beam could help me out thanks for any help
Old 12-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

A lot of members have used rectangular steel tubing to repair their inner rocker panels. Check this thread out. It has a few pictures that may help.

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...r+panel&page=5
Old 12-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Definitely look at the post about my repair that Jopizz suggested.
Lots of information on how I did I it. If your car is a driver this is a good way to repair those rusted out inner rocker panels. In answer to your question about how to get the "beam" into the area in the rear of the front fender and the front of the rear quarter panel, unfortunately you have to cut them away then weld them back in after the repair (see posts 9 & 5 in the thread Jopizz suggested). It is very important that your new rectangular tubing extend past the edge of the door and into the fore mentioned areas.

If you are building a bone stock show car, then you need to cut replacement inner rockers from a rust free parts car and weld them onto your car. These are getting very hard to find and cutting up a good car is not something any of us would want to do if there is an alternative. It just so happens that I have a solid parts car with the passenger side in great shape and the driver side also in great shape but needing about a three inch repair toward the rear where the guys at the body shop got a little agressive with the torch when cutting out the wheel housings for my car. I would be willing to sell them, but they might be a little expensive because I would have to pay someone to cut them out.

If you have any questions on this repair just ask. Good luck.

Last edited by lawyercalif : 12-31-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Thumbs up inner rockers

Thankyou both for the help i am building it to drive but would like to put original back what kind of price would you be talking.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I will have to check to see what I can get them cut out of the car for and what shipping to Canada would cost, but I imagine I would have to charge around $1000.00 for the pair. Just an estimate at this point. Since your car is a Coupe and you just want a driver, I would not go this route. I had intended to hold onto these for someone that needs bone stock and money is secondary. However as we always say here, it's your car build it to what you like. Let me know if you are still interested.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM

Default inner rocker rails

Ya its a driver so it realy could get buy with the tube steel thanks for your advice if we lived close i would buy them but with shipping its out of my budget were taxed to hell up here.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Rectangular channel is the way to go. Ford would have used it but it is cheaper to use thin, spot welded, sheet metal stampings. Since this is a unibody construction, (and even for convertibles) I recommend installing this channel the whole length of both rockers, and covering with new rocker panels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTENDED-ROC...item2eba3656c7
They're only $50 per PAIR, right here in Detroit.

Go Wings! - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Thumbs up rockers in detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Rectangular channel is the way to go. Ford would have used it but it is cheaper to use thin, spot welded, sheet metal stampings. Since this is a unibody construction, (and even for convertibles) I recommend installing this channel the whole length of both rockers, and covering with new rocker panels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTENDED-ROC...item2eba3656c7
They're only $50 per PAIR, right here in Detroit.

Go Wings! - Dave
Thanks brother i always buy my stuff from the country i love.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Happy 2012 to all our Squarebirds family. I have great expectations for this year.

I don't mean to hijack your thread Ron, but please understand, I live outside Detroit, 12 miles NORTH of Windsor, ON Canada (which makes Windsor almost Canadian because we Detroiters claim it.) Our boys find hockey is easy to join and play because nearly every school around has an ice arena (Royal Oak High School has two).

So, we are very close with our best neighbor, ever. Our vending machines have warnings about using yankee-only coins and I bet if I reached in my pocket, I could find a couple toonies:

In his youth, Henry Ford had a girlfriend who lived in Windsor. He built his own gasoline-powered boat to speed one mile across the Detroit River to see her. Anyone familiar with Canadian women automatically understand why Henry sped over there. Henry loved Canadians so much, he built more plants in Canada than any other country in the world, aside from the States. Ontario alone has or had, Windsor Engine and Foundry Plants, Oakville Assembly and St Thomas Assembly plants, and there are more. Even today, Ford of Canada works closer with the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW), than all of Ford's competitors.

Niagara Falls is a leisurely four hour drive through Canada for Detroiters. Robin & I were there a few weekends ago. The highlight of our trip was the wonderful visit we had with Jean and Howard Prout in St. Catharines, ON (right next to the Falls).

One of my favorite classic auto parts stores is Mac's, located 35 minutes from Howard's house, in Lockport, NY (right on the Erie Canal). I'm jealous because Howard shops there a few times a year.

Sorry for ranting, but I love the Great Lakes area and the change of seasons. My wife is half Ojibwa Indian, and like the wildlife surrounding us, they don't make much distinction between the US and Canada. We are truly blessed by God to have one fifth of the world's fresh water teeming with fish, and lush green land filled with trophy wildlife. - Dave Dare

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 PM

I know the area i have spent many years traviling america in a truck and i may sound a bit like a american. but thats what happens when you spend most of your life there.good people like i said i love america.