This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Apprentice

skikemp is on a distinguished road
Default oil pressure problem on a 430

Just installed a rebuilt 430 and have very little oil pressure and only one head is getting oil and very little at that. This motor was rebuilt 6 years ago and was never installed, I bought it as kind of a basket case. Motor was in a create and all the parts where in the trunk Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

You might try contacting Theo at the MEL forum http://ford-mel-engine.com/index.php It's not a real active place but there are some knowledgeable guys there. Good luck, Bob C
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I bought a 430 that had an engine that had been rebuilt 25 years ago and never run. What I found when I pressurized the oil system before starting it was that several of the oil galley plugs had not been installed, particularly the ones at the back of the block above the cam. There is also another at the front of the block behind the cam gear. I would check these.
Carl
Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Question

Are you running the original 430cid "vaccum assist" oil pump?

Or did you do away with it (like most) & install a regular 352-390cid oil pump with a new (shorter) drive shaft?

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Apprentice

I Don't know, There is a extra tube that comes off the bottom of the pump. I don't know if thats stock of after market.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default If it's not the galley plugs ...

check to make sure you have a good seal at the the pump and the pickup and that there is sufficient clearance between the pickup screen and the bottom of the pan. Could also be incorrectly installed cam bearings. Not that familiar with the MEL's so I can't say for sure, but it could also be a pressure relief valve issue. Could also be to much bearing clearance on the rods and mains. If the MEL forum has a tech section I would check there first. Are you using a 1/2 inch drill to prime? Turning the right direction? Mike
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Apprentice

I used a 3/8 drill to prime but it was all it could do to spin the pump.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default You really need ...

a half inch drill if you don't want to burn up the 3/8, and if the MEL is like the FE you need to turn it counter clockwise. Check your manual or online for Dist rotation. Mike

Last edited by gaffney1951 : 11-28-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

skikemp, I have to commend you for doing the correct tests before you run into trouble (an ounce of prevention...). Redstangbob, partsetal (Carl), tbird430 (Jon), and gaffney1951 (Mike) all have lots of experience with FE's and MEL engine. They are very similar.

Your engine must have plenty of oil or it won't last long. Buy a cheap oil gauge and screw it into one of the oil plugs on the side. If the drill motor turns hard, you should see lots of pressure on the gauge. (Pressure IS resistance to flow.)

I suggest you pull your rocker arm shafts off (take 20 pictures of this process) and pay attention to the notch on the lower front of each shaft. Then, slide each rocker arm off. Look for obvious galling on the shaft. Wire brush each rocker and run a small drill through the oil holes (my Y-Block arms had two holes each). Then pull the end plugs off the shafts. (I drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole in one plug end, screwed in a screw and used that to pull the plug out.) Do that to each shaft, and run a rod through to knock out the opposite plugs. You can tighten and leave the screw in after you're done. My shafts were a mess with what looked like heavy black grease inside. I replaced both shafts.

Both the 352 and 430 have the same firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8) and both distributors rotate counterclockwise (looking down). Before re-assembly, run your 1/2" drill motor in reverse on the oil pump drive shaft, and see if oil comes up to each head. I have a sneakin' suspicion it does, but dirt has packed all your rocker holes shut. If you don't get oil at all, I will go with Mike's suggestion that the cam bearings were installed wrong.

Sometimes the rocker arms don't align straight with the shaft's oil holes on the bottom. We use a Dremmel tool with a skinny cutoff disk to widen the oil hole like this:

That way the rocker arm can be a little off either way, and still get plenty of oil.

I hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Apprentice

Default Thank you All

I really appreciate all your guys help, It sure makes it easier to diagnose the problems. I uploaded a picture of the oil pump that came out of the motor, but it's not the same as the new one. I called Bakers Auto today and they said they never one like this. (Notice the lower pump) Any idea's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0066.jpg (344.6 KB, 57 views)